Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Another recycled Stinker

This skunk was obviously a former pet. Not a good idea to have pets like this. They live a very long time. She's not the friendliest. She must have come from a family that had other pets before she was dumped. An off leash dog had a go at her before she was rescued. The dog won.
Attached Thumbnails
Another recycled Stinker-skunk-57.jpg   Another recycled Stinker-skunk-57-.jpg   Another recycled Stinker-skunk-57-b.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
WG Writer

What a sweetie - even if she is a stinker! I hope she left her mark on that dog!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Scent glands are removed from skunks that will be sold as pets at a young age. She wasn't able to defend herself. She was a dump off that was descented. She had to have been a by product of an irresponsible/negligent pet owner.

FYI> skunks are illegal to maintain as pets in most states.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
WG Facilitator

Our neighbor's dog seems to like to play with skunks - and then he comes over to lay on MY porch. pe-yew
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
WG Writer

I have 5 brothers. When I was little they were all standing around a hole in the woods. When I came up they said g----- (my real name) we will have you 5 cents if you stick your hand in that hole and see what's in there.

Naturally my scientific curiosity made me do it! I was persona non grata for more than a month.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Salamander

Young siblings, aren't they grand.
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Salamander

Sounds like something brothers would do. I had two of them and they were forever getting me into messes. Not that I couldn't do that all by myself, but they were always more than willing to instigate.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Heron

My own dogs like to play with skunks... dummies.

I also have a dog who insists on licking toads...and then foams at the mouth for several minutes. One would think she would learn her lesson...
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Salamander

ha ha ha JPW! I had a cat that chewed on a toad one time. I saw him with what I thought at the time was a frog. A few minutes later he walked in the house and fell out in the middle of the kitchen. I thought he was dead! He lay there while I yelled for my hubby, then I picked him up. Limp as a dishrag. I really thought he was dead. Then all of a sudden he came to. I put him down, he shook it off and walked away. I called the vet thinking he had a seizure of some kind. Vet said, sounds like he got hold of a toad. Dumb cat. He lived another 15 years.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I have a dog that has to be walked on a leash so he doesn't grab things and bring them inside to mother them. I still can't figure out how he got that baby bunny in without me catching he had a wad in his mouth. I have another dog that has to be walked on a leash so she doesn't grab things and kill them. She would kill anything she could get her teeth on.

Tags
recycled, stinker