Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Salamander

fox Great Grey Foxes!!!

While visiting my aunt in Killeen this weekend, we checked on the game camera set up in her yard in her upscale suburban neighborhood. She didn't know what kind of foxes they were, and I was happy to tell her as I haven't seen any around my place (though they could be around).
What a healthy looking pair! My guess is that the male is on the right. Does anyone in your neck of the woods have grey (or gray)foxes as neighbors?
Attached Thumbnails
Great Grey Foxes!!!-grayfx.jpg  
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Fox

Really nice game camera photos! Do you happen to know the brand and model of the camera?

I'm a little north of the normal range of the gray fox; I have never seen one in the wild. The red fox is the one in my area and although they don't often offer an opportunity for viewing they are a joy to watch when they do.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Fox

Beautiful Picture Scarecrowsdrm! We once had a similar size pile of wood chips dumped in the driveway, near the street light, and we could see the foxes play on it at night.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
The Bug Whisperer

We have seen but one gray fox in the 13 years we've lived here. Red foxes also are not that commonly encountered; too many folks around here shoot any fox on sight...:-(

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

What a great shot! Great composition too--how about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Really nice game camera photos! Do you happen to know the brand and model of the camera?
Yes, with that quality of a picture, I'd be interested in the brand and model too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
...too many folks around here shoot any fox on sight...:-(
~sigh~ I'd be THRILLED to see one!

Here's hoping that none of my neighbors are shooting them.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Heron

How'd you get them to pose so pretty? The first time I saw a grey was at a distance and it climbed a tree I thought it was a giant squirrel at first
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
How'd you get them to pose so pretty? The first time I saw a grey was at a distance and it climbed a tree I thought it was a giant squirrel at first
LOL!

Great grey foxes and giant squirrels, Batman!

I'd not have thought they would climb trees.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Beautiful shot of the foxes! We get them in our yard and have also red foxes. In the past couple weeks, I spotted a red fox twice, in the green areas of an interstate cloverleaf. Essentially trapped, but it did get in there and the second time I saw it, it was in another section of the cloverleaf.

I checked it out on Google earth and saw it could find its way out staying on the green. Yesterday though, watching for it, I spotted it quite deceased.

Is there any likelihood of getting a rescue attempted in these areas? Trying to envision what that would have entailed...shutting down traffic on the I-90 in both directions, and the road in the middle of the cloverleaf, and the fox running from any trucks or people approaching.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post

I'm a little north of the normal range of the gray fox; I have never seen one in the wild. The red fox is the one in my area and although they don't often offer an opportunity for viewing they are a joy to watch when they do.
Sorry, don't know what brand that camera is. One of the better ones, I would think, probably not cheap!
We have red foxes in Texas too, and they stay secretive like the grey ones do!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Yep, they are known to be good climbers; red foxes not so much. Their behavior has been described down here as "catlike".

Tags
foxes, great, grey