Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
But at least we have no cougars in the neighborhood--yet (brought on by another thread). I like knowing that they're coming back but don't want to get too close to one.
~smile~

Apparently they are around in my "neighborhood" (not quite suburbia here). I agree I'm happy they are around, but I'd be wary of an encounter although I think they are wary of humans.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
Grub

I saw a gray fox happily sitting off the side of I-87 while traveling through the Hudson Valley last week! It was about 1-2 hours before sunset, and he was in clear view. Very cool.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
I saw a gray fox happily sitting off the side of I-87 while traveling through the Hudson Valley last week! It was about 1-2 hours before sunset, and he was in clear view. Very cool.
Cool.

So, I guess I should start scanning the yard an hour or so before sunset.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
Lungwort

Late afternoon and Dusk is when I see them.
Damianita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damianita View Post
Late afternoon and Dusk is when I see them.
Thanks. If I spot one, I'm sure you'll all hear about it.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I have seriously thought of getting a game camera, but thought they only took the kind of photos Hava posts - cool for their story value, but without the clarity of the ones that started this thread. Now I am going to have to explore this idea again.
If you find a good one or know the pros and cons of the ones you've already checked into please feel free to "Start a thread" on the subject.
I TOO would like a better one. My son was able to get the old one going again after it had been knocked over and waterlogged by the deer but it has lost so much of it's screen display I can no longer adjust any of its settings.

Quote:
While visiting my aunt in Killeen this weekend, we checked on the game camera set up in her yard
And you do not know which kind it was....With quality like that and its night shots in COLOR! It's worth the time giving her a call to find out!

Here's a few shots of the red fox via the Moultrie model
Great Grey Foxes!!!-mdgc0026.jpg
Nightime shots with the moultree are always in black and white
Great Grey Foxes!!!-mdgc1412.jpg
Daytime are colored.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nightime shots with the moultree are always in black and white
Attachment 34232
Daytime are colored.

Even your shots make me want one.

The daytime shot is adorable!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I really like playing around with it. Whenever I find a new den I set it up nearby to see what's inhabiting it... There were two fox dens on my property. One at each end...I'd guess from two different families. Pretty weird....Sometimes the fox dens were used and sometimes not.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #29
Salamander

camera2

Concerning the photo that started this thread, my aunt responded to my query as to what kind of game cam it was she used. She said that it was an ordinary Tasco, "the cheapest kind". "That picture was just a very fortunate happenstance", she went on to say. Just the right time, right place, because she hasn't had anymore pictures of the greys since that one beautiful shot.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
There were two fox dens on my property. One at each end...I'd guess from two different families.
How cool is that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Concerning the photo that started this thread, my aunt responded to my query as to what kind of game cam it was she used. She said that it was an ordinary Tasco, "the cheapest kind". "That picture was just a very fortunate happenstance", she went on to say. Just the right time, right place, because she hasn't had anymore pictures of the greys since that one beautiful shot.
Thanks for the follow up, scarecrowsdrm.

Great to hear that it is "the cheapest kind", but sad to hear that it was just "very fortunate happenstance". Who knows, maybe we'll all get some lucky shots if we buy one!

Tags
foxes, great, grey