Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
One of the better ones, I would think, probably not cheap!
Yeah, I kind of thought it was out of my price range...but, if I'm gonna get one, I'd like the quality of the picture to be good. I probably should wait until technology improves--it happens so fast now-a-days. So, then I wait a little longer, and the price for that will go down too.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Salamander
 
scarecrowsdrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grimes County,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yeah, I kind of thought it was out of my price range...but, if I'm gonna get one, I'd like the quality of the picture to be good. I probably should wait until technology improves--it happens so fast now-a-days. So, then I wait a little longer, and the price for that will go down too.
I am glad to see that Hubby and I are not the only ones who wait for the prices to go down! Heck, we just got our first flat screen tv a few months ago. Coudn't bear to part with the old fat back 'til it died.
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
I am glad to see that Hubby and I are not the only ones who wait for the prices to go down! Heck, we just got our first flat screen tv a few months ago. Coudn't bear to part with the old fat back 'til it died.
LOL! We just got our first flat screen TV earlier this year!

Too often in the past, we've bought things early on...spent too much, and then saw better quality (newer features) years later for less. We did that with our first digital camera...years ago. Spent at least a thousand on it if I remember...it had a floppy disk (remember them...they aren't floppy--well, maybe on the inside the are). It would store about 20-25 pictures and then you'd have to switch to a new disk. The next years model started having the memory sticks!
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Lungwort
 
Damianita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dripping Springs, Tx
Default

They are definitely cat like. I surprised a grey fox walking up the ramp to my wood shop. I was coming around the corner and we both froze. He/she backed off and then trotted around to the other side of the bamboo muhlyturned around and stared at me, unconcerned.. I talked with it for about 5 minutes before it trotted off to the gorge, obviously bored of me.. I have seen this fox three times close up this summer. Usually at dusk , he trots by my evening sitting spot and I see him headed into the gorge. I think he lives in the trees just in front of my wood shop.
Damianita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damianita View Post
They are definitely cat like. I surprised a grey fox walking up the ramp to my wood shop. I was coming around the corner and we both froze. He/she backed off and then trotted around to the other side of the bamboo muhlyturned around and stared at me, unconcerned.. I talked with it for about 5 minutes before it trotted off to the gorge, obviously bored of me.. I have seen this fox three times close up this summer. Usually at dusk , he trots by my evening sitting spot and I see him headed into the gorge. I think he lives in the trees just in front of my wood shop.
What a cool experience that must've been. I'd love to have a mutual respect moment with a fox.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
Curious George & UAOKA recipient
 
turttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Default

A family of grey foxes denned under my neighbor's deck this summer. She got to watch the kits cavort on her little lawn area with the parents, eating the prey the parents brought and then learning to kill the live prey the parents brought in. The whole thing went on for a number of weeks, then the whole family moved on. I saw one of the adults on my property during that time, being chased by crows of all things (I have no idea why the crows were chasing him, but there was no doubt that they were).

I was really jealous of my neighbor. I hope they move under my deck next year!

I have seriously thought of getting a game camera, but thought they only took the kind of photos Hava posts - cool for their story value, but without the clarity of the ones that started this thread. Now I am going to have to explore this idea again. Christmas is coming up, after all! You are all so right about how fast technology changes, both with falling prices and new features. Cameras and phones are practically outmoded before they are purchased these days. It makes it hard to know what to buy, when.
__________________
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, this is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar. - Lord Byron

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Offical Silphium Abuser
 
Rebek56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast Ohio
Default

Sigh. The only foxes I've ever seen were road kill.
__________________
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." --Cicero

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
A family of grey foxes denned under my neighbor's deck this summer. She got to watch the kits cavort on her little lawn area with the parents, eating the prey the parents brought and then learning to kill the live prey the parents brought in. The whole thing went on for a number of weeks, then the whole family moved on...
What an amazing thing to be able to witness!
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Sigh. The only foxes I've ever seen were road kill.
Same here, Rebek.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #20
Offical Silphium Abuser
 
Rebek56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Same here, Rebek.
But at least we have no cougars in the neighborhood--yet (brought on by another thread). I like knowing that they're coming back but don't want to get too close to one.
__________________
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." --Cicero

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
foxes, great, grey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2