Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Cougar sighting in Illinois

Cougar captured on trail camera in Morgan County confirmed :: Prairie State Outdoors ::

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Heron

Two thumbs up for dispersing predators. With the healthy populations of deer in the northeast and mid-Atlantic states it's only a matter of time before they establish a population somewhere.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Nice photo for a game cam.

I've heard from a local resident of cougar sightings here. I believe them. I like the idea that they are around--though, I'd rather not meet one in person (even though I think their afraid of humans).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Default Two more seen on web cams in Illinois. A breeding population there??

2 more cougar sightings confirmed in central Illinois - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

...I just had a "jack" sighting! It has been a while...good to see you posting again.

Technology sure does help with documenting things like this.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Salamander

It is fairly common knowledge that cougars live in the National Forest east of my area, though they are few and rarely seen. A friend of mine lives close to forest land and she heard one scream close by one night, the most bloodcurdling sound she ever heard!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
...the most bloodcurdling sound she ever heard!
I bet!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Lungwort

We have had cougars this summer here west of Austin. There is more than one in the area, or so they think. My one neighbor on one side has large uninvited wild boar. He has killed 4 300lb and heavier ones this summer.I saw them one night in front of the house. passing through . Then my other neighbor was out looking for a disappeared dog and was down in my gorge because she saw a lot of vultures and found 2 huge dead boars, all eviscerated. Her other dog had come home all cut up by slashing claws not bite wounds like a coyote would leave..The first neighbor saw the cat and has seen lots of tracks. I went out and bought some mace to keep on hand while I am out in the woods.
I have heard the scream while out gardening. They raise the hairs on your arm, and one starts a checklist of all the animals it is not to arrive at "LION from the Zoo feeling." No one has been hurt by them yet here. A horse was killed in Henly, about 15 miles away.

What is funny is that officially all these sightings and kills are concidered "modern myths" because there is no official population in Texas other than the population in the Big Bend because that is the only place where they have the money to go outlooking for them and monitor them. Their is no monitoring system anywhere else.

I deliver my trash out by the road with a 200+' walk usually at night and some nights I get a real spooky feeling that I have never had before. I take a large mag light and the mace. I hope that he works on the hog population more , but those are awful tasting animals when they get up around 300 lbs. The dogs won't touch them.
Damianita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

Damianita,

Your stories--especially the spooky feeling you've been getting while taking out the trash--make me wonder just how close I'd want a cougar to me. I'm very glad they are making a come back, and I think they tend to be afraid of humans, but I understand being wary and prepared. I think I mentioned before that a woman several miles from here saw me out walking and told me to carry a stick because they've seen cougars out there. So, I guess they are near me already.

I've already seen a bear in our yard, maybe a cougar will be next--it would be amazing to see (from the safety of the house), but I'd be just as happy to see it move on. In my early twenties, I did an oil painting of a cougar because I'd read how they were hunted to near extinction and I wanted to show the beauty and majesty of the creature. So, seeing one would be amazing in some respects, but I guess I'm happy just knowing they are around, but not seeing any signs of them like you are seeing.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I used to take my kids camping to a place in California, one valley over from Napa Valley, very secluded. There were mountain lion sightings regularly on the property. I have a great plaster cast of a cougar footprint, taken from an area by a creek where we liked to hang out where a cougar clearly had an encounter with a deer th night before.

I admit it was kind of spooky knowing they were around, and I never let my kids go off alone or at night, but the deer population was plentiful and there weren't any incidences in the years I was there.

If humans continue to allow the huge deer populations to go unchecked, then the large predators will move back to take care of the problem for us. It's s not a bad thing, so long as everyone is educated about it and neither side- humans or large cats- start killing each other on sight.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, illinois, sighting