Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Carbon

Default What kind of wild animal poop is this at my feeder?

Hi all!
I hope it's ok to post this here...
I sure hope someone can solve this mystery for me...

Here's a pic:
http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/e4936faa4c113acd9af387648ee15ae1f505f5ef.jpg

I've seen this poop here before and I always thought it was a possum because I used to more freely feed BOSS and had a possum or two who came at night to enjoy it and I caught them in the act a few times. There would always be lots of this poop the next day.
I started feeding more sparingly and only in hanging feeders and that stopped happening until recently.

I have a small hanging feeder on my covered porch and just below it on my deck is a tray feeder and sometimes some seeds fall into it from the feeder above it. I've been noticed the same kind of poop again but it's a little smaller this time. Exact same make up though.
Very dry and fibrous. Looks like it mostly eats grasses and seeds... ?

I am in Eastern TN and this animal is definitely nocturnal as the poop is always appears overnight. And obviously this animal likes BOSS.

Thanks a lot!

Attached Thumbnails
What kind of wild animal poop is this at my feeder?-e4936faa4c113acd9af387648ee15ae1f505f5ef.jpg  

Last edited by TheLorax; 08-28-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: addition of photo for new member
JustMe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Carbon

No guesses at all?! lol
JustMe777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Fox

Hey JustMe, I'm no expert, but I'd say it's still your opossum. There are a couple of web sites that mostly rule out other possibilities, like this one. One of our members has used a trail cam to catch this kind of activity; that was fun to see.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I agree with benj. You're just getting thrown off by the size of the poops is all. Not a biggie.... little 'possums poop too!!!
--
If you wanna run your tastefully photographed turds by an expert.... you can send your photo to this guy, He's the Poop King!!!

Tags
animal, feeder, kind, poop, wild