Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Heron

Possums are so adorable! So glad you got some lib, say do they eat chickens? Lol we do not have them here in Montana, darn shame .
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
You don't need a platform throw some dead critters in the back and if there are turkey vultures around they will find it!
Thanks, recurve. (By the way, I'm really getting used to your new avatar and that is how I will likely picture you from now on!)

I have seen turkey vultures in the area...and this spring we saw a LOT of them...I can't remember how many Jeff counted, but I'm sure it was at least seven.

I think the only way I'll put dead critters out is if there is road kill along the 400 ft road footage out front.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozerdoo View Post
Possums are so adorable! So glad you got some lib, say do they eat chickens? Lol we do not have them here in Montana, darn shame .
Hey, why hasn't Doozerdoo's avatar changed? If I didn't know that is what's been used all along, I'd've thought it was a "gifted" avatar.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
WG Operations, Facilitator

I love a good critter rescue story!!! (humming the theme from the movie "Born Free.")

Thanks for sharing your possum rescue story and photos.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

The tuna fish AND the avocado were gone the next morning so something ate well that night. Coulda been a raccoon or coulda been my scrawny little guy. The dead cat is gone.... nowhere to be found. Something dragged it off. Here's hoping my scrawny little guy got a little bit of it because I know he's not responsible for dragging it off. The cat was 3x his size.
--
Spruce> “Musk Glands? Is that controlled response like when a skunk gets ready to spray and has to get in position or do the musk glands just empty when it's playing possum?” I assumed it was both but hadn’t really checked into it. I poked around and didn’t find much beefy info on the musk glands…. I did find more info on playing possum and it appears the glands do empty when they involuntarily “play” dead, Opossum Informations and Facts, “When threatened or harmed, they will play dead. The scientific communtity has shown that this isn't actually a conscious act by the Opossum or should I say isn't an act at all. The Opossum when scared actually faints or passes out mimicking the appearance and smell of a sick or dead animal. The lips are drawn back, teeth are bared, saliva foams around the mouth, and a foul-smelling fluid is secreted from the anal glands.” Looks like they can control the evacuation of their musk glands but… I’ve never seen 1 do it because most I see are oblivious to me being anywhere near em, Opossum Management Guidelines--UC IPM, “When threatened, an opossum may bare its teeth, growl, hiss, and exude a repulsive, smelly, musk like fluid from its anal glands, which offers some degree of protection from predators.” The opossum I had for the longest time was evidently never threatened by me…. not even when it got stuck in our cat trap so I never “experienced” a musk gland discharge situation. 1 of the articles I ran into poking around said their top running speed was only 7 mph…. that was interesting. I can tell you their top running speed with 5 babies weighting em down is a heck of a lot less than that!!! I did find that drooling was another defense mechanism, Opossum Defense Mechanisms, “An opossum will work its jaw until excessive drool forms and it is actually blowing bubbles out of its nose! Heavy drooling causes a predator to think the opossum is sick and consequently unappetizing.”
--
Question for ya spruce…. will you stop and check for babies next time you see a dead opossum on the road>>>>? I think Dappy will and my bet is you will too.
--
Doozer> I think they’re really cute critters too. Their coats are more attractive than a silver fox. The babies are so darn ugly they’re cute and after a while.... they're totally adorable in their own right!!! I think we're conditioned to view them as ugly if you really think about it. They’ll for sure eat chicken. They can’t get at mine though!!!
--
Dappy> I either put my vulture offerings up on a platform or pitch em waaaaaaay out and away from the yard behind the chicken coop in a clearing of about 20’ or so in the brush. I’ve found the vultures around me are pretty people shy and they don’t like to be bothered at all when they’re eating or they’ll fly off. I can only get within about 50’ of our “guests” before they take off and its 1 of the reasons I never get photos of ours. There’s too much brush between me and the platform and clearing where I feed em. I’ve been watching em for years and they seem to stay put longer when they’re up in trees or on a roof or a platform as opposed to down on the ground where they’d be exposed. When I 1st started trying to attract them, I tossed a few “offerings” on the low roof outside our bedroom window because it seemed like that roof would give me the best shot at a close up and personal view of them and…. nothing that could do them harm could get to em up on that roof to the screened in porch. I’d pulled down the blinds and left myself a “peek hole” but…. Pillsbury said the dead coon or whatever it was I’d tossed up there was pushing it. Spoilsport!! Anywhoo…. we’ve got our own dogs and a few stray dogs around here and then there’s all the coyotes so we can’t just toss offerings in our yard where they’d be vulnerable.
--
4B> It wasn't a rescue exactly. Story I heard was that a woman wasn't willing to share space with the mom and wanted it GONE because it was repulsive looking to her and she didn't want to risk getting bit. I guess the 1st night he trapped the mom and 3 of the babies and she was on the phone calling him at the break of dawn to haul her off but he said he needed all the babies. He went out and added some food to the trap and left. It took him another day or so to get the other 2 babies but he got em so the whole family could be relocated. This critter control guy is too nice. When she balked about leaving the traps under her deck.... he shoulda just told her that if he didn't leave the mom there to draw out the remaining babies that they'd die without her and the smell would run off all her friends and family. That woulda shut her up. Makes no difference.... they're by me now and I share nice with everything except mink and cats!!!

Tags
animal control, animals, baby opoussum, baby possum, big, dance, happy, opossum, opossums, photos, possum, rescue, small animals, time, wildlife, wildlife rescue