Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Fox

Default My first bat house.

Some pictures of the first bat house I've built. It's a beast! I used some old, well-seasoned barn boards because they were free, and made this thing 3' x 1.5', with three chambers. It's big and it's heavy! It's also pretty rough looking because I had to put it together, alone and from scratch, in one afternoon (not including painting). I concentrated on everything that might affect the bats and skimped on the pretty.
Then I had to wait two weeks before my buddy got it painted and hung on his barn. I'm hoping it's not too late for the house to be occupied. They've seen a few bats around but it doesn't seem like the full complement that's usually there. He has many, many bats there, as we found when we reflashed his chimney. He wants many more. Insect control is always welcome on a farm.
Even if they don't occupy this season, they will eventually. The location faces directly south, so gets 8-10 hours of sun each day. There's an extensive beaver bog within 100 yards. There will never be a shortage of food here. Basically, it's Club Med for bats. I can't wait to see the guano piling up on the barn door roof!

My first bat house.-001.jpgMy first bat house.-002.jpgMy first bat house.-003.jpg
Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Pope

It looks like a right, tight little home, Bulu. Great work!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Heron

That's Awesome!!!!! wish I had such a great place for a bat condo!
Don't worry if you build it they will come!!!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Fox

Thanks folks, it's nice to hear the enthusiasm about my boxes. I mentioned building bat houses to an acquaintance (not a friend) and she replied, "Oh my god, why would you do that?"
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Looks good to me but I'm thinking it may become too hot for use being a heat absorbing black on a HOT southern face.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Looks good to me but I'm thinking it may become too hot for use being a heat absorbing black on a HOT southern face.
Well, I went by the parameters for color and exposure for my region as given by Bat Conservation International. I have to assume they know what they're talking about.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Well, I went by the parameters for color and exposure for my region as given by Bat Conservation International. I have to assume they know what they're talking about.
I would have done the same. Let us know how things turn out........

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Bat Con is a really great resource.
--
I REALLY REALLY REALLY like your bat house and the way it looks like it's been there forever. It blends in with the design of the barn so well that nobody would even question what that "trim" was up there toward the peak of the roof. FWIW... I stick a thermometer up inside my bat houses to make sure I've got optimal "nursery" temps. Each property has microclimates that can throw us for a loop.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Fox

Thanks alot Equil. I appreciate your appreciation. It should blend in on a barn being made from barn boards!

The bats are back and they are not occupying my house. They are instead occupying the barn which they access through an eave missing it's fascia board. I need to fix that soon anyway as I think some starlings are nesting in there. First, I have to make sure that the bats can get out of the barn another way. I'd hate to board up any bats (or any creature for that matter) into a wall to die slowly.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

I love bats and I love anyone trying to give them a helping hand. You done good!!! Real good.
--
I watched a program at a friend's house. It was reality tv or something and this dude drives around with his crew dealing with nuisance critters. The episode I saw was on bats. He plugged all the holes to the attic except the 1's by the vents where then repaired the roof and then waited until dusk when they all started flying out then went on up and made sure the attic was vacated then sealed em out completely with screening. That was that. I wish I could remember the name of the program or the name of the guy because there's probably a YouTube on that episode. I'm sure you'll figure it out. You may end up burning the midnight oil making those repairs after they've taken to the skies for food but.... I'm sure you'll figure something out. At least it's not like you're leaving em out in the cold either with fancy new digs in place.

Tags
bat, bat habitat, bat house, bathouse, bats, build, building, habitat, homemade, house