Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Green Plants & Blue Babies

Green Plants & Blue Babies
By Food Chain Radio
March 16, 2012

http://foodfreedomgroup.com/2012/03/16/green-plants-blue-babies/
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Water runs downhill. This is a problem for environmentalists and farmers. Environmentalists say water running off farms contaminates the environment and may turn babies blue; farmers say it’s impossible to prevent water from running off their farms. And so we ask…

Can we grow food and have a clean environment?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Water runs downhill. This is a problem for environmentalists and farmers.” Nutrient, pesticide, and volatile organic compound contamination of ground waters is a very real problem for more than just LittleGreen’s “environmentalists” and factory farmers getting pitted against each other but it’s not gonna be much more than a thorn in the side of BigGreen that’ll either completely ignore American blue babies or find an innovative way to bill this new wave of casualties to us as collateral damage in their war against “global” poverty and starvation.
--
I’m thinking LittleGreen’s increasing unwillingness to “buy into” the trade-offs and sacrifices being demanded and now dictated by “globalists” is becoming a major stumbling block.
--
Humanitarianism consists in never sacrificing a human being to a purpose.
-Albert Schweitzer
--
jack> where are you>>>>? I can't believe this 1 slipped by you!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Offical Silphium Abuser

Our nitrate problem isn't caused just by farmers. I once lived in a "nice" subdivision where most of the neighbors were addicted to Weed 'n Feed. At least once a year we had a water warning issued for nitrates--but no one seemed to connect the dots. In fact, the guy across the street (a landscaper and otherwise a good guy) insisted that the excess was residual from all the truck farming done in the area in the 1940's and 50's.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Runoff from factory farms is part of our ecotoxicological problem. There’s a multitude of chemicals…. not just nitrate… that pass through the soil potentially contaminating ground water. Pet poops are a huge source of nitrates. Ferals are an even greater source. Waste dumps are yet another source of nitrates leaching into ground waters resulting in decreased oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in babies which can lead to death. I totally agree with you that our nitrate problems aren't just caused by farmers although industrialized agricultural practices to which factory farmers subscribe are a huge chunk of the equation. That article was lumping all environmentalists together against all farmers which I didn't particularly care for since organic gardeners and farmers aren't exactly contributing to the nutrient, pesticide, and volatile organic compound contamination of ground waters we're all facing. BigAg's "environmentalists" encouraging homeowners to buy the silver bullet kill-all du jour are definitely contributing their fair share to our nitrate problems as are BigChem's inorganic fertilizer reps pushing their products. The list of those contributing to our nitrate problems goes on. Consume consume consume for short term economic gains.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Offical Silphium Abuser

I didn't mean to imply that industrial agriculture isn't a major problem, either--too many ideas, not enough time (nearing the end of the semester).

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Oh nooooooooo.... I didn't interpret what you typed as implying industrialized agriculture wasn't a major problem at all!!! I was trying to make a distinction between farmers. Sorry about that. I've been on a roll tonight "cleaning house" of old threads that I've been looking for so my thoughts aren't all that well organized.

Tags
agriculture, babies, blue, chemicals, environmental, farms, green, industrial agriculture, nitrates, plants, poison, runoff