Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default 2012 Philadelphia Flower Show

Wasn't really sure where to post this but I wanted to know all of your thoughts on the Philadelphia International Flower Show.

It starts March 4th - 11th.

This year's theme is Hawaii: The Next Wave
http://youtu.be/I9WFPRDXBGM
Personally I'm going to be very upset if I see something NOT invasive at this show.

Though to be fair the "theme" seems to only apply to the 5 to 7 initial exhibits one sees when walking in the doors. Beyond that local landscaping companies take over showing off things like living walls, and often just use bulbs and rhododendrons.

There is one exhibit that tries to go all native but I seem to miss it every year, as they have to use winter interest as the focus. No one seems willing to force a few dozen Trilliums to bloom early just for the show.

The second half of the show floor is typically devoted to specimens of individual plants, art displays, decoration and design competitions, and booths for landscaping tools and info.

The third half is nothing but vendors who sell more nick knacks than actual plants or seeds.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I know what you mean about being disappointed. Sounds like our flower shows so.... I stopped going. The "free" lectures offered at our flower shows weren't exactly eco-friendly and I doubt seriously if your flower show will be any different since the "lecturers" follow the circuit state to state usually. Go to 1 flower show and you've been to all of them for the most part. I can't justify the cost of tickets or parking anymore. You'd think they'd let folk in for free considering what they charge vendors for booths so they can bombard us with the latest and greatest but no.... they charge us too.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Heron

You may find it more interesting than say the Auto Show and they are bright when the weather is still lousy. They probably will have something that you'll find interesting. Perhaps Water features and aquatic plants. If your in the market for bird houses, feeders, and bird baths it's sure to give you ideas. As for the plants themselves that's up to the growers.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Last year they had a house with all copper accents, gutters, window latches, watering can, mail box, everything made out of copper. And I remember thinking if anyone tried that in real life half the house would be stolen over night.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Heron

Yup you really have to bolt down copper, I've heard there's plenty still in the ground but getting it out and smelting the ore is expensive and dirty compared to recycling it. Drug Addicts in Detroit have been electrocuted stealing transformers and wire that still has electricity running through it. You'll see alot of sheet copper used in draft beer systems both for the towers and the drain pans. The copper has some special properties that prevent and delay the formation of bacteria. As far as we're concerned with preventing Algae moving water over and through copper helps prevent Algae formation. Since copper doesn't rust, It gets a nice green patina which wipes off easily with bar-keepers friend it can be submerged in water further helping prevent Algae and won't hurt birds, frogs, or fish.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, copper, flower, philadelphia, show