Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Of course since people aren't moving every few years the owner's are looking to make the yard more outdoor friendly. Everything from Pizza Ovens to Ponds which is fine for everyone to spend more time outdoors...
I hope we can stay here "forever"...at least that is the plan.

Funny, aside from a pond (which I've wanted since my teen years)...I've been thinking about how to make a pizza oven...I'm planning a stone patio where there is currently a slope. I'd love to have a pizza oven somehow built into the wall I'll have to build to build up the sloped area. I've got this crazy idea that I can make a firepit/grill/pizza oven combo somehow. I want the firepit for up top (stone patio)...and the pizza oven/grill to be used when standing on the lower level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Where they fail is in the native plant department...

...One of the tree experts also said that their goal is to bring diversity to tree plantings so that diseases like dutch elm and EAB don't denude a whole property. When asked about Bradford Pears he confessed that a Bradford pear doesn't belong in Michigan and are finding the trees planted have all been deformed by ice storms...
Well, it sounds a little hopeful that the tide is turning. Let's just get them to see that they should encourage *native tree* diversity not only will that help ensure the whole property is not denuded by some disease...it will prevent some new diseases being brought in.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I sat down and watched this '07 movie again when I ran into this thread. Dr. Shiva's changed the focus of her activism considerably since then, Dr. Vandana Shiva: Occupy our food supply! | Grist but.... this flick is for sure still worth watching in its entirety. This time I took some notes on what was positive that kicked in at around 1:13 for anyone who doesn't have time to watch the whole 1.5 hours of it. Here's what made watching it again encouraging to me...
"Even if what you are doing may seem very small, very insignificant, collectively if so many of us are doing the same thing we would accomplish a lot."
"It really does start at home. Sometimes we canít change things on the grandest scale but if you start to change yourself and your friend starts it and their friend starts it, pretty soon a lot of people are doing something different."
"Good thing is that we donít need to start from scratch, we can learn a lot of good things from the wisdom of nature."
"What we give to the soil, what we give back to the soil, how we recycle our waste back into the soil is whatís going to sustain us."
"We have great friends out there, biological allies."
"What weíve destroyed, we can heal."
"I may feel insignificant, but I certainly donít want to be like the animals watching the planet go down the drain I will be a hummingbird I will do the best I can."
--
If watching the movie doesn't provide the inspiration to affect change where we can... in our own yards by removing ickies and nasties.... planting back locally native species and.... trying to grow more of our own food organically even if it's just a tomato plant on our balconies.... then I don't know can. Excellent flick with oodles of ideas we can apply at home with a little elbow grease!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I sat down and watched this '07 movie again when I ran into this thread. Dr. Shiva's changed the focus of her activism considerably since then, Dr. Vandana Shiva: Occupy our food supply! | Grist but.... this flick is for sure still worth watching in its entirety. This time I took some notes on what was positive that kicked in at around 1:13 for anyone who doesn't have time to watch the whole 1.5 hours of it. Here's what made watching it again encouraging to me...
"Even if what you are doing may seem very small, very insignificant, collectively if so many of us are doing the same thing we would accomplish a lot."
"It really does start at home. Sometimes we can’t change things on the grandest scale but if you start to change yourself and your friend starts it and their friend starts it, pretty soon a lot of people are doing something different."
"Good thing is that we don’t need to start from scratch, we can learn a lot of good things from the wisdom of nature."
"What we give to the soil, what we give back to the soil, how we recycle our waste back into the soil is what’s going to sustain us."
"We have great friends out there, biological allies."
"What we’ve destroyed, we can heal."
"I may feel insignificant, but I certainly don’t want to be like the animals watching the planet go down the drain I will be a hummingbird I will do the best I can."
--
If watching the movie doesn't provide the inspiration to affect change where we can... in our own yards by removing ickies and nasties.... planting back locally native species and.... trying to grow more of our own food organically even if it's just a tomato plant on our balconies.... then I don't know can. Excellent flick with oodles of ideas we can apply at home with a little elbow grease!!!
I think I've watched all the available documentaries of its type, but this is my favorite. It makes me realize that it is, indeed, that infinity of life in a huge handful of rich soil that so fascinates and makes me want to learn more. There is something sacred about rich soil, and one becomes aware of it the more one investigates it and begins to become aware of the mystery of what is able to emanate from it.

It's this point that makes this film so superb, and it's this that brings tears when the ignorance of man denies and disregards this sacredness... It's also the desire to understand all of this and its ramifications that makes a web site like Wildlife Gardeners so special. If you've not seen this film, you are doing yourself a serious disservice.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

It was an amazing and informative movie and roger got a lot out of it too.
Last night I started watching one about bottled water which ID'd Nestlť as the Monsanto of water. I fell asleep and roger took my earbuds out and turned off the iPad. Tonight I'll find the spot and finish. I have put a lot of such films in my Netflix Instant queue.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

jack> I meant If watching the movie doesn't provide the inspiration to affect change where we can... then I don't know what can not then I don't know can. Sorry about that screw up that I'm seeing when you quoted me. It is 1 of the best out there.
--
Sage> I dunno what you watched but Neslte's had its straws in our fresh water aquifers for a while so it's good this issue is getting attention, Texas Drought Having Long Term Effects and State of the worlds rivers. Now all we have to do is start screaming that we need to keep OUR water in OUR aquifers!!!

Tags
agriculture, conservation, dirt, earth, exploitation, fertile soil, fertility, food, industrial farming, life, microbes, monoculture, movie, nutrients, soil, soil microbes, sustain, sustainability