Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
WG Operations, Facilitator

sun Worst sunburns scorch and sizzle - 5 ways to avoid getting deep-fried

Worst sunburns scorch and sizzle - 5 ways to avoid getting deep-fried

CNN Health
By Madison Park, CNN
May 28, 2010 8:13 a.m. EDT

Whether a person is light- or dark-skinned, whether it's cloudy or sunny outside, dermatologists recommend wearing sunscreen -- globs of it.

The simple act of enjoying the sun has become complicated with questions about how much sunscreen to use (more than you think), how often to apply (frequently) and what those acronyms (UVA, UPF, SPF) mean.

The problem is that not all sunscreens are created equal, depending on their ingredients. And the scars of neglecting sun protection are chronicled on the iReport photo wall of pain. Worst sunburns ever (ouch)

1. Clothing matters
2. Sunscreens should have UVA and UVB protection.
3. A high SPF is hype.
4. Sunscreen sprays are not as effective.
5. Darker skin tone isn't a free pass

Click on the link below to read the article in its entirity:

Worst sunburns scorch and sizzle - 5 ways to avoid getting deep-fried
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
WG Writer

I have had 'outside jobs' most of my life. I learned early and well from OSHA inspectors: in addition to wearing a hard hat around a backhoe,
wear long sleeve shirts and loose cotton pants. Wear a a broad brimed hat.
Wear UV protected sun glasses. Wear cotton gloves.

Skin cancer is not reversible. Also vision degeneration, cateracts and other eye degenerative diseases are strongly correlated with sun exposure.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Long sleeved light-weight cotton shirts are the best so are loose cotton pants. Wide brimmed hats I never could get into but I do like the duck billed baseball caps. Definitely sunscreen lotions if you're hanging out by a pool or the beach. "5. Darker skin tone isn't a free pass" Very true. Parents with black kids have to protect them. Cover them up or lube them. Our kids burn just like everyone else's kids burn.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Lungwort

Choose your sunscreen carefully! The Environmental Working Group recently released their report on sunscreens. Out of 500 sunscreens studied, they only recommended 8%. Here's a link to their news release...

Report: Only 8 Percent of Sunscreens Recommended | Environmental Working Group

Quote:
"Many sunscreens available in the U.S. may be the equivalent of modern-day snake oil, plying customers with claims of broad-spectrum protection but not providing it, while exposing people to potentially hazardous chemicals that can penetrate the skin into the body," said Jane Houlihan, EWG Senior Vice President for Research.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
WG Staff

Default Report that Sunscreens Accelerate Cancer Jumps to Conclusions, Says FDA, Experts

Report that Sunscreens Accelerate Cancer Jumps to Conclusions, Says FDA, Experts
by Grace Gold
Posted May 26th 2010 at 12:15PM

Report that Sunscreens Accelerate Cancer Jumps to Conclusions, Says FDA, Experts - StyleList
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The sunscreen you apply to protect yourself and loved ones from skin cancer may actually speed up the growth of cancer cells, according to a new report that's making its way around the Internet.
But that statement assumes a leap that isn't entirely based on evidence, StyleList has found out.

The findings -- which were analyzed and broadcast by the Environmental Working Group -- looks at data from a 2009 FDA study of retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A that is often used in anti-aging cream formulations for its believed benefits as an antioxidant...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
WG Writer

I never have used sunscreens for working out side. I do wear protective clothing. The sunscreens are greasy. They have to be re-applied frequently. When you sweat sunscreen gets in your eyes and stings and even some times blurrs vision.

It might make sense for a few hours on the beach in a bikini but for working outside day after day Ive not seen one that was practical.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Salamander

Yes, that's the problem I have. And covering up with long pants, long-sleeved shirts, etc. just doesn't work here when it's hot...as it usually is here! With the heat (often accompanied by humidity) we have, I'd run for the nearest air-conditioned house or building within 10 minutes...if I could stand it that long! As I get older, I can only tolerate shorts and a short-sleeved shirt in the heat of the day. And they recommend reapplying sunblock products every two hours! Hats work, but with such limited ability to shade you here...even parts of the face can still be exposed.
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avoid, avoid sunburn, burn, burned, deep fried, deepfried, ouch, scorch, sizzle, skin, sun, sun dangers, sun exposure, sun protection, sun protection guidelines, sunburn, sunburned, sunburns, sunscreen, sunscreen use, sunscreens, ways, worst, worst sunburns