Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American News and Current Events (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-news-current-events/)
-   -   Leveling Appalachia: The Legacy of Mountaintop Removal Mining (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-news-current-events/4653-leveling-appalachia-legacy-mountaintop-removal-mining.html)

Staff 12-06-2009 10:47 PM

Leveling Appalachia: The Legacy of Mountaintop Removal Mining

Leveling Appalachia: The Legacy of Mountaintop Removal Mining

Leveling Appalachia: The Legacy of Mountaintop Removal Mining by : Yale Environment 360
excerpt from above:
Quote:

During the last two decades, mountaintop removal mining in Appalachia has destroyed or severely damaged more than a million acres of forest and buried nearly 2,000 miles of streams. Leveling Appalachia: The Legacy of Mountaintop Removal Mining, a video report produced by Yale Environment 360 in collaboration with MediaStorm, focuses on the environmental and social impacts of this practice and examines...

Staff 12-06-2009 10:48 PM

A Plea to President Obama: End Mountaintop Coal Mining

A Plea to President Obama: End Mountaintop Coal Mining
by james hansen
22 Jun 2009

http://www.e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2168
excerpt from above:
Quote:

The Obama administration is being forced into a political compromise. It has sacrificed a strong position on mountaintop removal in order to ensure the support of coal-state legislators for a climate bill. The political pressures are very real. But this is an approach to coal that defeats the purpose of the administrationís larger efforts to fight climate change, a sad political bargain that will never get us the change we need on mountaintop removal, coal or the climate. Coal is the linchpin in mitigating global warming, and itís senseless to allow cheap mountaintop-removal coal while the administration is simultaneously seeking policies to boost renewable energy.

Staff 12-20-2009 10:15 AM

Fear of violence grows in mountaintop mining fight

Fear of violence grows in mountaintop mining fight
By Vicki Smith, Associated Press Writer
Sat Dec 19, 9:30 pm ET

Fear of violence grows in mountaintop mining fight - Yahoo! News
excerpts from above:
Quote:

Quote:

"It's not the working man that's the problem here," Scarbro said. "It's the industry and the way they continue to use and exploit people on both sides of the issue, whether it's the working man trying to take care of his family or the environmentalist trying to take care of us all."
"Union and nonunion workers are being told by management that their livelihoods are at great risk from out-of-state environmentalists," Kovarik said. "Management is going out of its way to equate them with terrorists, when in reality, they are their own neighbors, grandparents, retired coal miners and college students."

And dehumanizing your opponent, Kovarik said, can open the door to real violence.

swamp thing 12-20-2009 12:49 PM

Some segment of the timber industry had a similar ad running on the accuweather site recently, picturing a group of young men standing in an old-growth forest, dressed in black with bandanas covering their faces, as "terrorists" from "out of state".

Equilibrium 12-20-2009 04:32 PM

Ahhhhhhh, same old same old... divide and conquer by allowing the issues to polarize so human being can be pitted up against human being by super charging emotions to really stoke those home fires and distract everybody. Mountaintop mining is NOT sustainable but look at our administration in action, Mineweb - ENERGY - Feds are now the real enemy in Appalachian coal wars "H.R. 1310, the Clean Water Protection Act, has been introduced in Congress. It is intended to add a definition of fill material to the Clean Water Act plus a statement that the definition does not include any pollutant discharges that replaces portions of U.S. waters with dry land or change the bottom elevation of a water body." See that... mining waste treatments systems aren't necessary... they don't need to be classified as waters. Soooo... put the mercury... thallium... chromium... cyanide... arsenic... lead... selenium... and who knows what else is in that coal sludge coal waste they're generating out of your mind, Journey Up Coal River ::: A project of Aurora Lights What ever happened to traditional mining methods if they need to get at coal while alternate energy sources are pursued???

swamp thing 12-20-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

...look at our administration in action...
I can't see what HR 1310 has to do with the administration - in fact, the link implies the EPA is trying to tighten restrictions on the mines, by "threatening to veto Clean Water Section 404 permits that had already been approved and issued to coal mining operations by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers."

hazelnut 12-20-2009 07:11 PM

I once participated in a survey of Sumter National Forest, S.C. It wasn't coal land - which I have surveyed here in Tuscaloosa County, Al - but the land was severely eroded from agricultural practices. The Forester told us that the present surface was 20 ft below the original surface-below the normal subsoil level. The U.S. gov't had confiscated the land and they were trying to grow some trees on it to restore the soil. Most of the trees had died, and the land was turning into drifting sand dune.

I don't know if remediation of the South Carolina land was ever successful, but it was tragic to see land stripped so deep that nothing would grow.

I can't think of anything more destructive than to strip the surface of the land and remove all of the soil that has developed over several centuries. No animal - not even man - can live on land that has been destroyed in such a manner.

Equilibrium 12-20-2009 07:36 PM

You probably read the quick summary already, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Water_Protection_Act " It proposes to redefine "fill material" to not include mining "waste" under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act.". That's mighty nice of them wouldn't we all like to think... http://www.epa.gov/OWOW/wetlands/regs/sec404.html. Too bad there's nothing happening with either one of them. What's going on with S.696... the AppalachiaRestoration Act since we have McCluskey making statements??? Who's the new director of the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE), http://www.osmre.gov/aboutus/bio/pizarchik.shtm Is Pizarchik another fox guarding our hen house like Vilsack? Our current administration REALLY has become a part of the problem not the solution with all of this dancing going on. This speaks volume to me, Mountaintop removal coal -- Ohio Citizen Action, "This is what Obama would have to say: "Rahm, I want an administrative ban on mountaintop removal coal mining as fast as possible. Make it happen." Try saying that out loud with a stopwatch running. How long did it take you? 10 seconds at the most? Maybe add a few seconds for Obama to put his signature on execution documents. Then he could turn his attention to other matters. Obama's failure to issue this instruction has not been due to his lack of time. What is it due to?" Paul Ryder, Organizing Director, Ohio Citizen Action." Again... since we're obviously not going to put a stop to all of this by banning mountaintop mining... what's so wrong with traditional mining methods while all of this big fat mess gets sorted out or do we let it drag out and have even more "out of state terrorists" with with bandanas covering their faces whipping everyone up?

swamp thing 12-20-2009 08:21 PM

Equilibrium, I suppose it's possible for the president to stop something that's been going on for decades, but my concern was that your link to the "administration in action" had absolutely nothing to do with the administration. I was trying to understand your point.

Prairiefreak 12-20-2009 08:26 PM

THANK YOU, Swamp Thing. My thoughts exactly.