Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
The Bug Whisperer

Default A Fungus Amungus?

The following was in a science subscription service I get via email:

A team of Dutch researchers has reignited a debate on the agricultural use of fungicides with a review in the December issue of The Lancet Infectious Diseases. The authors maintain that the massive use of fungicides to protect European orchards, vineyards, and grain fields may be contributing to resistance against drugs used to treat people with life-threatening infections of Aspergillus fumigatus. Although the overuse of antibiotics in animal husbandry is known to have caused resistance in the human population, this would be the first time a similar link is found between farm use of fungicides and human health.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Fungicides have made me nervous from the get go. Some pathogen or another is always evolving resistance... and then there's this added twist called cross resistance. I'm not surprised at all seeing this debate coming up again.
adding, can you add anything more they send to you for this?

Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-27-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: adding favor
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
can you add anything more they send to you for this?
Just the following:The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Volume 9, Issue 12, Pages 789 - 795, December 2009

Azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus: a side-effect of environmental fungicide use?

Original Text
Dr Paul E Verweij MD a http://www.thelancet.com/images/article_notepad.gifhttp://www.thelancet.com/images/article_email.gif, Eveline Snelders MSc a, Gert HJ Kema PhD b, Emilia Mellado PhD c, Willem JG Melchers PhD a
Summary

Invasive aspergillosis due to multi-azole-resistant Aspergillus fumigatus has emerged in the Netherlands since 1999, with 6·0—12·8% of patients harbouring resistant isolates. The presence of a single resistance mechanism (denoted by TR/L98H), which consists of a substitution at codon 98 of cyp51A and a 34-bp tandem repeat in the gene-promoter region, was found in over 90% of clinical A fumigatus isolates. This is consistent with a route of resistance development through exposure to azole compounds in the environment. Indeed, TR/L98H A fumigatus isolates were cultured from soil and compost, were shown to be cross-resistant to azole fungicides, and genetically related to clinical resistant isolates. Azoles are abundantly used in the environment and the presence of A fumigatus resistant to medical triazoles is a major challenge because of the possibility of worldwide spread of resistant isolates. Reports of TR/L98H in other European countries indicate that resistance might already be spreading.

Just an added note - I seem to recall reading that one of the reasons that fungal infections can be difficult to treat is that the cellular metabolic pathways in fungi appear similar to those in animal cells, but I cannot provide a reference.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Grub

dragonfly01 Fungus Funk

Hanh mitakuyapi. When I was in high school, I got athlete's foot. This is a fungus disease; we all have the fungus on our skin, but sometimes, it goes haywire & causes grief. After nearly 4 years of treatments, the doctor was talking about amputating my feet. I told him there was no way in hell or on earth I would go along with that! I told him I'd leave the hospital naked in the middle of a snowstorm (it was January) before I'd let them remove my feet.
My grandmother Pearl was a Traditional healer, & she & I tried many things but she hadn't tried garlic because she later told me, "it hurts & you already had plenty of pain".
One day I was chopping garlic, & since I couldn't wear shoes (couldn't get anything to fit & it hurt too much to soak them off), if anything went floorward, my feet got some. A tiny bit of garlic fell into my foot.
It felt like someone had torched my foot. The tears wouldn't stop coming, until Pearl soaked the foot in milk. But the next morning, my foot had decreased in size from more than a woman's 11D to about a size 9 (!) & I had skin for the first time in nearly 3 years - on both feet!
There's way too much dependence on "chemicals" for "medicine" these last 50 or so years & far too little dependence on the things that kept us healthy for how-many-thousand years before their appearance. The results are obvious..
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Aspergillosis is indeed very serious.

Thank you very kindly for sharing what you learned.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Salamander

The problem is fungi are biochemically similar to their human hosts. They are eukaryotic. Destroying the fungus without destroying the patient becomes an ongoing challenge.

Tags
amungus, fungus