Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

This raises my environmental eyebrow, http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-02-08-obama-climate-agency_N.htm?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medi um=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomWashington-TopStories+%28News+-+Washington+-+Top+Stories%29 It ain't hard to follow the money there is it??? I guess my position has been that we have a big time problem with our peer review process. It’s in need of some overhauling don’t you think? Clean up the process and we’ll all benefit exponentially from transparency. “Again, maybe it’s just me but I think we’re long over due for competing interests policies for authors AND editors AND reviewers. This would go a long way to restoring trust in the process so we can all follow the money. Maybe I’m in need of help understanding what’s so wrong with skepticism and controversy when it comes to my tax dollar being misappropriated for a greater good defined and reinforced by the power of suggestion,” DirtyKnees> you liked my hamster video, eh? Welllllll, I liked the link you posted to American Thinker. It was riotous. I read some of their other articles. The one on the Green Police in MA was shocking… their green police put ours to shame. I feel for Stoloniferous and Bulucanagria… I’m getting visions of the Green Police making them co-own cars with their neighbors. That last link of yours to the day 1057 site was downright insulting to environmentalists. I didn’t know Al Gore refused to sign a personal energy ethics pledge. I didn’t even know there was such a pledge. By the way, I just found out global warming ranks last as a top priority, http://minnesotansforglobalwarming.com/m4gw/global-cooling/ I had no idea the AGW movement had lost so much credibility since the e-mails surfaced.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #42
Fox

To be fair, Equilibrium, Cambridge is to MA as Berkeley is to CA. I seriously believe that they compete with each other for totalitarian moonbat of the year honors.
Having said that, MA is rather more willing to trample rights in name of ideology than most other states. I've noticed that the farther you get from Boston (and Cambridge for that matter) the less extreme people get in their thinking. I believe this has to do with the high concentration of colleges in Boston. Also, the well oiled political machine makes many residents blind followers, which have always been the tool of control.
If I stay in New England, I hope to move just a scoche north into NH. It's a beautiful place and temperamentally more suited to my nature.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #43
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FONT=Verdana
I didn’t know Al Gore refused to sign a personal energy ethics pledge. I didn’t even know there was such a pledge. [/FONT]
Once again, something is taken out of context to make it seem worse than it really is/was. There is no such pledge per se, this was a publicity stunt cooked up by the famous climate change skeptic, Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma to put Al Gore in a 'no win' situation. The exact wording presented to Mr. Gore at a Senate hearing was as follows:
"As a believer:
· that human-caused global warming is a moral, ethical, and spiritual issue affecting our survival;

· that home energy use is a key component of overall energy use;

· that reducing my fossil fuel-based home energy usage will lead to lower greenhouse gas emissions; and

· that leaders on moral issues should lead by example;

I pledge to consume no more energy for use in my residence than the average American household by March 21, 2008."

This is a classic example of 'no right answer,' because if Gore refused to sign Inhofe's "pledge," then Inhofe could depict Gore as someone unwilling to put his money where his mouth is. But if Gore agreed to sign on to the challenge, Inhofe could portray Gore as a environmental extremist who wanted to force everyone to give up creature comforts to save the environment.
BTW, it is by definition impossible for all families to consume less energy than the average household. Sort of a corollary to Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegone where "...all children are above average."

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #44
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knees View Post
I'm a Democrat. What does my party affiliation or yours have to do with whether I choose to believe the critics or the advocates of global warming? While misdirection has become common practice amongst both deniers and advocates, collusion appears to be emulating exclusively from advocates of anthropogenic global warming.
1) Global Warming and the 'Settled Science' Baloney
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/12/global_warming_and_the_settled.html
2) Inside The Great American Bubble Machine
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/28816321/the_great_american_bubble_machine
3) Peddling global warming fears puts big money in pockets of climate researchers
http://www.examiner.com/x-32936-Seminole-County-Environmental-News-Examiner~y2009m12d23-Spreading-global-warming-doom-delivers-big-money-to-climate-researchers?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twit ter
4) Natural causes also responsible for global warming: Scientists
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Natural+causes+also+responsible+global+warming+Sci entists/1453524/story.html
5) The Death of Global Warming
http://www.heartland.org/environmentandclimate-news.org/article/26931/The_Death_of_Global_Warming.html
6) Day 1057 Of former Vice-President Al Gore’s refusal to take the “Personal Energy Ethics Pledge”
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Pledge
But these are all opinion pieces by non-scientists & ideologues that call into question the motivations of the people doing the research. (Classic tactic - instead of refuting the ideas directly, people will claim that you're in it for the money or some sinister agenda. The other side does with skeptics too - they're all paid off by "big oil.") Let's see what some actual climate scientists think about the actual science!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #45
Salamander

Have I missed a law of global warming like the law of gravity somewhere?

Allow me to repeat myself,
Quote:
I cannot afford to believe in global warming when the belief cannot be backed by repeatable scientific results.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #46
WG Writer

I think the 'repeatable' part came before the UN report.

Evidence of a Warming Earth - The Woods Hole Research Center

Its interesting that Google searches on global warming yield mostly political writers and bloggers. Not many real scientists are engaging in the fray.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #47
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knees View Post
Have I missed a law of global warming like the law of gravity somewhere?

Allow me to repeat myself,
Again, I refer you to a detailed history of research on global warming/climate change at Introduction - Summary - among other things, you will find that the possibility of human activity affecting climate first was mooted more than 2,000 years ago. You also will see that progress has not been smooth. As in most scientific endeavors, there have been fits, starts, false leads, etc. etc., but the bottom line is that earth is warming, and humans are responsible. The devil is in the details; namely in forecasting the rate and magnitude of the changes, and how much can be attributed to human activity.
You also might check out how climate change skeptics operate - see How the 'climategate' scandal is bogus and based on climate sceptics' lies | Fred Pearce | Environment | The Guardian

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #48
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

"Although it is perfectly acceptable to discuss relevant current events here, best to steer clear of political and/or religious discussions. There are many forums that encourage political and religious discussions. Wildlife Gardeners does not."
- Green Man

We're going to continute to allow latitude when discussing current events consistent with the Mission Statement. Let's not cross that proverbial line in the sand.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #49
Grub

dragonfly01 Hacked

Hanh mitakuyapi. No matter how humans dislike hearing it, we have become a cancer in the biosphere; there are just plain too many humans. It is killing off other species; warming the planet, which kills more 'other species'; & it's going to get us in the end - which appears, from the lack of attention to the obvious, to heck with details, to be where the majority of humans' brains are kept. That's not how our bodys were designed, but since actions & track records speak loudest, that does appear to be where most humans keep their brains. Talk about being in for a rude awakening. And so completely avoidable - just exercise some self-control & quit claiming "but I'm just one human". One billion of anything is still one billion individual somethings. hechetuye.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #50
WG Writer

Pahinh Winh: I am not a religious person (given to teleological thinking -- post hoc explanation) but there may be a reason humans have the brains that they do. They are supposed to figure out their own survival.
Closed Thread

Tags
climate, climate change, climate researchers, climate scientists, climate treaty, dispute, email, fodder, global cooling, global temperature increases, global warming, global warming skeptics, greenhouse gas emissions, hacked, news articles, precipitation patterns, scientific data, weather