Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
WG Staff

bat White-Nose Syndrome (WNS)

White-Nose Syndrome (WNS)

Bat White-Nose Syndrome: An Emerging Fungal Pathogen?

USGS National Wildlife Health Center - White-Nose Syndrome (WNS)
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Science Magazine Publication - A previously undescribed, cold-loving fungus has been linked to white-nose syndrome, a condition associated with the deaths of over 100,000 hibernating bats in the northeastern United States. The findings were released ahead of print on ScienceXpress on October 30, 2008 and are published in the January 9, 2009 issue of Science.
Download associated pdf:
Science/AAAS | Sign In
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
WG Staff

bat Geomyces destructans sp. nov. associated with bat white-nose syndrome

Geomyces destructans sp. nov. associated with bat white-nose syndrome

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_information/white-nose_syndrome/geomyces_destructans.pdf
Quote:
Abstract We describe and illustrate the new species Geomyces destructans. Bats
infected with this fungus present with powdery conidia and hyphae on their muzzles,
wing membranes, and/or pinnae, leading to description of the accompanying disease as white-nose syndrome, a cause of widespread mortality among hibernating bats in the northeastern US. Based on rRNA gene sequence (ITS and SSU) characters the fungus is placed in the genus Geomyces, yet its distinctive asymmetrically curved conidia are unlike those of any described Geomyces species.
Key words Ascomycota, Helotiales, Pseudogymnoascus, psychrophilic, systematics
Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
WG Staff

bat NY- Lake George bat cave nearly depopulated by 'white nose syndrome'

Lake George bat cave nearly depopulated by 'white nose syndrome'

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/14178/story-2-0-lake-george-bat-cave-nearly-depopulated-by-apos-white-nose-syndrome-apos
Quote:
"The Graphite Mine was the largest Little Brown colony counted in the world, with about 200,000 animals," Hicks said. "Our guess walking through was that there was about 3,000 animals left."
Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
WG Staff

bat Investigating White_nose Syndrome if Bats

Investigating White_nose Syndrome if Bats
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/fact_sheets/pdfs/2009-3058_investigating_wns.pdf
Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
Salamander

bat WA - White Nose Syndrome

Has not made it to the west coast yet, but they are being vigilant. Article has a short video of Wenatchee Bats (not a species, but location).

Quote:
Though wildlife officials in Washington and Oregon have received scattered reports of bat deaths this year, there's no evidence of large-scale die-offs and no sign of the fungus believed to be the cause of white-nose syndrome.
Article here.

Best Regards,

Quietman
Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Nice little video. They have been demonized which is a shame. The bat in a bag on the scale was effective. I didn't think they could be put head first in an Rx bottle to weigh them... they'd be able to get out unlike a bird.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
WG Staff

bat As bats return to winter caves, white-nose disease expected to spread fast

As bats return to winter caves, white-nose disease expected to spread fast
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 09, 2009

NCPR News Archive - As bats return to winter caves, white-nose disease expected to spread fast
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Last week, the US Fish & Wildlife Service issued preliminary guidelines urging roughly two-dozen states to prepare for the arrival of "white nose syndrome."
Old 12-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
WG Guardian Spirit

We're hearing that Fish and Wildlife will likely be urging GA and AL to close all their caves. There's actually some considerable resentment among cavers, though -- what Tennessee did was send announcements to the caving groups, but do nothing, not even post signs, to let the public at large know the caves were closed, which of course had the net effect of only closing caves to the most responsible users.

A lot of the trouble was complete lack of funds, but I hope a better solution can be found in the rest of TAG (Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia, a world-famous caving area).

I've done what I can do -- I've quit caving, and so has my husband, with the exception of one cave. Can't spread the fungus if you only go back to the same place.

I'm not sure we and the bats are likely to win this one, though. It's frustrating, discouraging, and frightening.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Hey hey hey... it's all of those things but... there are many people pulling together to utilize what little money for research has been made available to try to save bats. They're doing what they can, Unraveling the Mystery of White-Nose Syndrome in Bats Nobody knows exactly how the fungus is spread but... it is a fungus so I'd be in favor of shutting down all caves immediately... no revenue generated by keeping caves open is worth the risk of spreading it IMHO.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
WG Guardian Spirit

I agree; it's why I've stopped caving.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bat, bat population, bats, disease, diseased bats, fungus, syndrome, white nose syndrome, whitenose, wns