Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Bomberman Explodes Plants

Bomberman Explodes Plants

Seedbomb Plant Capsules by Hwang Jin wook, Jeon You ho, Han Kuk il & Kim Ji myung Yanko Design
Quote:
This title maybe misleading but the intention is pretty peaceful! Legend has it that after the World War II got over, American pilot Gale Halvorson airdropped candies in the name of hope, for the Berlin children. War equals devastation, so dropping candies instead of bombs was probably personal retribution. Inspired by this incident, designer Hwang Jin wook and pals have come up with a plan to combat deforestation and desertification of land in a similar fashion. Their mission is called “Seedbomb.”

Mission Seedbomb involves a bomber aircraft and charges full of the Seed Capsules. Essentially the project involves artificial dispersal of seeds over arid areas where natural vegetation has lapsed due to man-made follies like deforestation leading to desertification. Each capsule contains artificial soil and seeds, and are air-dropped over the selected regions.

Housed in biodegradable plastic, the artificial soil provides nourishment and moisture to the seed; till it grows out to be a strong enough plant to sustain itself. As the sapling matures, the plastic capsule melts away, leaving behind a brand new generation.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

All those permaculturists bombing roadsides with wildflower seedballs is coming to mind when I read this. I would hope the Bomberman capsules would contain only locally native seeds should this come to fruition.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
All those permaculturists bombing roadsides with wildflower seedballs . . .
You say that like there is a wave of naughty permaculturists sweeping the country.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

You're right. It isn't only the permaculturists subscribing to this practice. I recall the days when beekeepers were creating these seedballs to throw out car windows and including purple loosestrife. For all I know, many may still be doing this. Perhaps you might want to check into the species frequrently being recommended for inclusion in seedballs. Since quite a few of the suggested species are on noxious weed lists, this practice of including noxious weeds into seedballs is beyond naughty. It's illegal.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Default seedballs

I was familiar with the practice of seedballs but thought this had long ago been abandoned. Guess not, Seedballs for Specific Purposes with Ruby Sheffer - Phoenix Permaculture Guild And look... we can all buy our own kits shipped anywhere in the world, SeedBallKIT and these kits include,
What comes in your KIT ?

(the kit ingredients can make about 100 penny size seedballs)
  1. 1 lb of Red Clay Powder (approx 2 cups)

2. 1 + 1/3 cup of organic compost
  3. 4 Table Spoons Organic Rice Seed
  4. 1.5 TB White Clover Seeds
  5. 1/2 Tea Spoon Daikon Radish Seeds
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

The daikon radish are included to help break up the soil. I thought that was interesting.

That class would have been worth checking out.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

I once spoke to a group about basic container gardening for butterflies and hummingbirds. The group was an active 55+ group. All had either a small patio or a balcony to work with. There was another speaker backed up to me who was doing a demo on seedballs. When I finished, she spread out a mixing bowl and all the ingredients in front of the group. She propped up a huge bag of wildflower seed next to water pitchers. She let everyone know each attendee would be going home with 50 seedballs. There was a slide presentation. It showcased some of the wildflowers the group would be including in their seedballs to do their part beautifying roads and ditches. One of the first flowers in her presentation was Chicory. Queen Anne's Lace and Dame's Rocket were in the slide show also. I listened to ohhhs and ahhhs as each wildflower in their mix was showcased. I left as she began discussing how they shouldn't overlook tossing their seedballs out along rail road tracks which were in need of beautification also.

That evening was supposed to have been an introduction to the senior community of how they could use native plants in limited spaces on a fixed budget. Somebody didn't do their homework on the volunteers they invited to speak.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
WG Facilitator

Next year YOU do the seedball demo with real natives.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Next year YOU do the seedball demo with real natives.
Indeed!

"Permaculturists" strike me as a microscopically small group of gardeners who get an unfair share of blame for the mistakes made by gardeners of all types.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

The permaculture movement is larger and more active than the organic movement. There are some extremely environmentally responsible permaculturists out there.

Tags
bomberman, explodes, plants