Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Mentor

Default Kansas Coalition for Children in Nature

Kansas Governor Signs Order Forming New Coalition
Lawrence Journal News & World – April 14, 2009

Kansas Coalition for Children in Nature

Quote:
Gov. Kathleen Sebelius issued an executive order Monday to form a new group that will create opportunities for children to experience nature.

The group, called Kansas Coalition for Children in Nature, will work with state agencies and other organizations.

Research has shown that time in nature improves a child’s academic performance, concentration, balance, coordination and self-esteem. Unfortunately, the amount of time children spend outside has dropped by 50 percent during the past 20 years
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I truely value my time out in nature. As soon as I see the woodlands I go into an entire frame of mind and body. It is such a great soother! My breathing even changes and mellows.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

One of the reasons why many schools are beginning to embrace exposing children to natural areas is because it is cost effective to do so. Admission is free. For the cost of the bus, the kids get opportunities that will last a lifetime and hopefully they will be more interested in exploring their neighborhoods and the surrounding areas after school rather than joining another online gaming community or sitting transfixed in front of the tv. We have a serious problem on our hands countering the media and popular culture's negative influences on our children. Look at how the number of children being prescribed ritalin has jumped in the past 20 years.

Tags
children, coalition, kansas, nature