Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Agriculture secretary vilsack announces economic recovery projects for invasive species

Agriculture secretary vilsack announces economic recovery projects for invasive species
Release No. 0167.09

Release No. 0167.09
excerpt from above:
Quote:
WASHINGTON, May 14, 2009— Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced today projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) for invasive species projects. In total, there are 19 projects, funded at over $38 million, in 14 states.

'These projects will provide for public health and safety by restoring forestlands and rangelands damaged by invasive species," said Vilsack. "Invasives weaken affected ecosystems and reduce resource benefits from forests and rangelands."

Invasive species affect the health of ecosystems by stressing the naturally-occurring species and competing with them for resources. Stressed ecosystems are at risk of loss. These funds will be used to suppress and control species such as: kudzu, cogon grass, and hemlock woolly adelgid.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Wow! Double Wow! A whole whopping 38 million to spread around to control invasive species in the name of public health and safety. Aw shucks Tom... thanks for the bone. You're really doing your job advocating for public health and safety I can see... or at least that's what you want everyone to believe.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Too Wild To Garden

Wonderful!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Big Fat juicy WORM

It's better than nothing, but not by much, sigh
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I was being facetious when I said Wow and Double Wow. My teenage son gave me this link as a visual to better understand big numbers like 100 million or in this case> 38 million,
We're talking a portion of one penny. Not even a whole penny. So much for looking out for the environment and providing for public health and safety Mr. Vilsak oh great and powerful Agricultural Secretery.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Heron

It's still better than nothing, and perhaps it would be a good idea to let your Congressman know how you feel about this issue.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I do contact my congressman regularly. I receive scripted replies thanking me for my support. Evidently no one is reading that I am not supporting their poor choices. They are sending automated replies.

Tags
agriculture, announces, economic, invasive, invasive species, projects, public health, recovery, secretary, species, vilsack