Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #61
Mentor

Equil

lol sorry but the idea of some person coming out of a trailor with a bucket of lime to lesson the stench when relatives are coming to down is making me giggle. On one hand, I do get annoyed at the people who don't respect the impacts they have through negligence.. I mean hey it's not like floods, storm water, etc don't carry things into our fishing areas and drinking waters on the other hand sometimes these "lazy" people create some damn good habitat. When they don't mow fields, throw out piles of tin, or leave old barns standing long past their usefulness they create habitat for barn owls, snakes, etc. It's frustrating to say the least, but at least where I live the MDC and various environmental groups are making a heroic effort to educate the public on issues such as these. Only time will tell if it works or not. I think getting more science based environmental education in public schools is critical. What ever happened to no child left inside?
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #62
WG Guardian Spirit

Well, the composting toilet is generally in the house or else there's a storage bin directly under it (not buried). But I have seen some pretty bad things being tolerated, you're right.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #63
WG Guardian Spirit

Crossposted, Midwesternerr, sorry. I was replying to Equilibrium.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #64
The Bug Whisperer

At least composting toilets are a step up from the outhouses we had on the farm where I grew up. Even when flush toilets finally were installed in the house, we didn't have a septic field per se; waste simply drained into a series of three cess pits. By the time the waste reached the third pit, it essentially was gray water that was pumped out into our alfalfa field. However, the muck remaining in the first two would have to be removed by hand shoveling :eekn a periodic basis.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #65
WG Guardian Spirit

There's an old (covered) cesspool out back of this house, too. I'd thought perhaps it was an old well, but no, I asked my absentee landlord about it when he visited to see the damage after the tornadoes here (some shingles, nothing serious). He tried really hard to explain what it was without saying "cesspool." "You know, that's where we had some drain." Finally he confirmed when I asked him directly. It's sealed, it's old. I don't think there's much point in worrying about it now, but I wonder if it was illegal when it was in use, from the way he reacted.

Oh, I had a success while he was here -- he didn't recognise the tree growing near the house and was thinking about cutting it down. I pointed out that it was a native dogwood, that it had ornamental value, and that it wouldn't get much bigger (it's above the second story). He's decided to leave it. I'm very relieved; I fought a major battle to save that thing from English Ivy last year.

Tags
conservation, hard, place, poverty, rock