Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Light Pollution - Part 1

Light Pollution - Part 1
Reported by: Kristin Lowman
Email: kristinlowman@fox23news.com
Last Update: 5/08 8:24 pm

Light Pollution - Part 1 - FOX23 News - The 10 O'Clock News
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Does that annoying street light shining in your window keep you awake at night? Turns out, it could mean more than a sleepless night.
Its a little known type of pollution that could be hurting the environment, and you.
Quote:
We depend on light for safety and security, even add it for esthetics. But our need for light, used inefficiently, is having a negative effect on our ecosystem. Its attracting animals like crows who take advantage of the extra light, even changing migration patters. Stone says, "birds are changing when they are nesting and coming north because of light. That can result in them returning before the weather changes and the snow comes. If the songbirds are going north they could be bringing viruses at an earlier time."
Old 05-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

This is something that has always concerned me. I notice the effects on my moths more so than on other species. Not encouraging to read about the effects on migrating birds. We turned off the lights we used to leave on by our front, side, and back doors because of this and also turned off the yard light. We put that on a motion sensor. It goes on if we're walking around after dark but isn't on all night long any more.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Years ago, an old friend was involved with the International Dark Sky Association. He considered it a "special-interest group for astronomers" at the time, but they have come a long way since then. Light pollution has far-reaching implications; energy conservation, wildlife issues, annoyance, security, on and on.

It's a great organization.

International Dark-Sky Association
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
WG Guardian Spirit

It's amazing the lengths you have to go to in order to find dark anymore. We have full dark here, but only on clear nights in the summer. In the winter, we can see the booger light (Southern for security light) that our neighbor keeps on in his (uninhabited) cow field (?!) There are enough trees to block it in summer, and it is at least aimed down, so it doesn't white out the stars. But on cloudy nights, the lights from the town seven miles away reflect over the ridge and wash out most of the night sky. On cloudless summer nights, we can see the Milky Way from the yard.

But we really had to work hard to find a place like this. That's not healthy, for people or anything else.

National Geographic had a cover article on this a few months ago. They called it "The End of Night."
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Administrator

address not found JennyC.

National Geographic's, 'Our Vanishing Night'
Light Pollution ? National Geographic Magazine
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
WG Guardian Spirit

Thanks, FW. Fixed now.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

http://www.homerglen.org/Environment...OnWildlife.pdf

Our Far-flung Correspondents: The Dark Side: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker

Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

Light Pollution Taking Toll on Wildlife, Eco-Groups Say

National Geographic Magazine - NGM.com

Please turn off all outdoor lights. You'll save money on your electric bill and you'll be helping out wildlife too.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Heron

When I was a kid ( I'm in my 30s) you could still see the Northern Lights out in the country and the Milky Way. But now you can't, too much light pollution from neighboring towns.
Last year I wanted to attract lightening bugs to my yard. I found out that they need dark nights to attract mates.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

I don't live in an area where you can see the Nothern Lights either. I could see them when I was a kid.

Lightening bugs need more than dark nights to attract mates, they also need pesticide free lawns. We're killing them off when we treat are lawns for grubs.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Heron

Yes and tall grasses and plants to hide in. Which is why you almost never see them in town.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, light pollution, part, part 1, pollution