Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Mentor

Default CNN Article: Shovel-ready projects that create jobs

Commentary: Shovel-ready projects that create jobs

Quote:
Planting trees, shrubs, grasses and flowers in well-planned ways also will increase real estate values and thus municipal tax collections, boost the morale of commuters and residents, clean the air and water and, according to academic research, reduce crime and even decrease healing time after surgery. It's the key to creating more walkable, sustainable urban and suburban spaces.
Quote:
In retail/commercial districts shoppers spend more time and money and come back more often, and give people places to recreate, connect with nature and experience a sense of well being.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
WG Staff

This was good:
Quote:
"Strategically planted urban trees reduce energy use by shading buildings in summer and blocking cold winter winds," reports the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Forest Service. "As they grow, trees remove carbon dioxide and other green house gases from the atmosphere and sequester them in their leaves, branches, trunks and roots...... In retail/commercial districts shoppers spend more time and money and come back more often, and give people places to recreate, connect with nature and experience a sense of well being."

Trees and shrubs can save huge sums by reducing or eliminating the need for major "hard capital" anti-pollution projects or can soften the impact on the environment while the capital and technology is found to produce cleaner power plants and vehicles.
The example cited of how New York City $6 billion on new water treatment plants by spending $1.5 billion protecting watershed land was excellent.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Do you think some of that stimulus money will be spread around to benefit our ecosystems? Talk is cheap. I would like to see them do some of these things.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Mentor

I don't have any idea what will happen, but I am on the prowl lobbying on behalf of these ideas. I referenced this article in letters to several politicians in my area.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I guess not much will happen until people begin to realize it's their ox getting gored. What was the content of the letter you sent? I send letters and e-mails from time to time and get little or no response. Response I receive rarely if ever address my original concern. I don't think anyone is reading what I take the time to send which is a sad commentary.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
WG Staff

Default Following the Money, Soo Lock on inside track for funding

Following the Money
Soo Lock on inside track for funding
By Dan Egan of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Apr. 5, 2009

Soo Lock on inside track for funding - JSOnline
excerpt from above:
Quote:
no secret he is prioritizing billions in stimulus funds for "shovel-ready" public works projects - jobs that can start almost immediately because their designs are set and they've cleared regulatory hurdles.
Quote:
That's good news for proponents of a $490 million boat lock about to be built in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, a monster-sized - and yes, shovel-ready - project that had been in search of a deep-pocketed patron since Congress authorized it nearly a quarter century ago.

It's bad news for taxpayer watchdogs and environmentalists who question the wisdom of spending so much money essentially to duplicate an existing lock, especially when they say there are more pressing needs facing the pollution-ravaged Great Lakes.

"With all the need for Great Lakes restoration and the impact shipping is having on the Great Lakes, a half billion dollars for an extra lock is like a slap in the face," says Jennifer Nalbone of the conservation group Great Lakes United.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
WG Staff

Default Several bills target invasive species; However, money to fight invaders is elusive

Several bills target invasive species
However, money to fight invaders is elusive
By Beth Casper Statesman Journal
April 3, 2009

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20090403/GREEN/304030003/1001/NEWS
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Legislators say they are supportive of efforts to combat invasive species, which tend to take over and out-compete native species.

"I am very concerned that we have maybe gone too long (in dealing with invasive species," said Rep. Arnie Roblan, D-Coos Bay. "Now, it is now or never. For some of these invasive species, the only thing we can do is keep them out."

But like so many other measures this session in order to make any headway on invasive species, organizers are forced to either skirt the issue of funding or come up with creative financing.
Quote:
-House Bill 2220 requires that check stations to examine boats for aquatic invasive species be built. It doesn't provide any money.
-House Bill 2020 sets up an emergency fund to deal with new invasive species quickly and effectively. It calls for $2 million in lottery bonds because advocates knew the use of general-fund dollars would never pass. It's still unclear if invasive species will get a piece of the estimated $150 million lottery bonds pie.
-Two other proposals increase the penalties for introducing non-native fish to state waters. The penalties will more than cover the costs of prosecution, advocates say.
-Senate Bill 629 establishes a program for issuing grants to counties for noxious-weed control, but there is no money attached. Proponents hope future legislative sessions will authorize money for the grants.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

The Soo Lock project is ridiculous. I am having difficulty believing they would even consider this to be a worthy shovel ready project.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Sorry.... I couldn't resist....another shovel ready project that created jobs that our stimulus money was used for, Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program | CNSnews.com. I’m thinking that money coulda better been used toward WNS and our bats but what do I know…. we better start paying attention or we'll have NOTHING left for the environment that we all depend on.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I guess not much will happen until people begin to realize it's their ox getting gored. What was the content of the letter you sent? I send letters and e-mails from time to time and get little or no response. Response I receive rarely if ever address my original concern. I don't think anyone is reading what I take the time to send which is a sad commentary.
If you have the time, follow up the emails/letters with a call. This summer I decided to email a gas company to try to get them not to mow so early. Many of their gas line areas are perfect habitats. I followed up the email with a call. The guy I talked with said he had never received a call like mine. I didn't blame. I just tried to inform.

Tags
article, cnn, conservation, create, ecosystems, federal, federal spending, feds, fund, funded projects, funding, funds, government, invasives, jobs, money, natives, projects, restoration, shovelready, spend, spending, stimulus, wasteful