Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Hava, Joe and Roger are alike then, Roger has a fit when I toss expired stuff, but really, a lot of it is fresh food you simply CANNOT eat later! He will just trim off the yucky parts! Blecchhhhhh!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ah ah......I toss things out WAY before my hubbie ever would! I eat leftovers within a couple of days by creating different versions out of them or I'll heat up only one of the leftover items and create the rest of the meal brand new. The next day I'll pick another leftover item, lets say the veggies and then go on to make fresh meat and salad or something to go along with it. That way you're not eating the exact same meal again.

If there's anything leftover after that, I ask him if he wants any more of this or that and save whatever he so chooses. If he hasn't touched it after another, few days.
It's crow food...I don't like to keep anything in the fridge over a week even if he "does" say it's still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
I was just saying to my husband that I want to learn to can veggies, and my mother in law separately mentioned an article she read about the benefits of fermented foods. Can't wait to try this at some point!
I find it easier to blanch and freeze than to can veggies. Canned veggies get too soft for my liking.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #23
WG Staff

Default Mysterious Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate Discovered

Mysterious Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate Discovered
By: NaturalBlaze
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 16:15

Mysterious Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate Discovered
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The health benefits of eating dark chocolate have been extolled for centuries, but the exact reason has remained a mystery until now. Researchers reported here today that certain bacteria in the stomach gobble the chocolate and ferment it into anti-inflammatory compounds that are good for...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
Heron

That's the idea behind lots of natural yogurts and food supplements: Keep that healthy bacteria growing and healthy

On the other hand E. Coli is bad bacteria which will get us sick if we ingest it.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #25
Grub

Great thread.

Cabbage recipe contribution: roasted.

My vegetable intake has increased 400% since learning to roast 'em. All of 'em.

For some reason, roasting cabbage and brussels sprouts doesn't seem to have the same scent as boiled. I could be making that up though, LOL.

Happy spring!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #26
Heron

I first saw roasting on PBS: It's on the week-ends and called grilling with Steve. I caught the tail end of him saying he roasted Watermelon so I'll try that sometime now that roasting veggies isn't something from another planet.

Artichoke is my favorite roast. Well any Artichoke recipes with stuffing is normally baked so terminology isn't my strong suite.

I did see a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts and it looked like perhaps they were caramelized like onions.

Another easy roast recipe is to dice up an onion and kohlrabi and cook it in a soy sauce; After they cook and soften up throw a small can of paste or diced tomatoes. You can make a meal of it by adding more onions and kohlrabi and a larger can of tomatoes and some turkey meat or hamburger. And you can re-heat any left-overs in the microwave
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benefits, eating, fermented, food, health