Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Salamander

Default 5 Most Horrifying things about Monsanto

From the article:

"Monsanto began as a chemical company in 1901 and was responsible for some of the most damaging toxins in US history, like polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and dioxin. Consumer advocacy group Food and Water Watch (FWW) released a report on April 3 detailing Monsanto’s role in chemical disasters, Agent Orange, and the first genetically modified plant cell. The report shows that the “feed-the-world” agricultural and life sciences company Monsanto markets itself as today is only a recent development. The majority of Monsanto’s history is involved with heavy industrial chemical production, including the supply of Agent Orange to the US for Vietnam operations from 1962-'71.

1. Profiteering poisonous chemical company posing as agribusiness
2. Building a monopoly, putting farmers out of work
3. Controlling the food, privatizing the water
4. Running the FDA, writing its own protection laws
5. Continuing environmental nightmares. . .

For the full article:
5 Most Horrifying Things About Monsanto?Why You Should Join the Global Movement and Protest on Saturday | Alternet
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Truly horrifying. Every time I eat something that's not organic and labeled non-GMO, I worry that I am ingesting a genetically modified organism that was exposed to cancer causing herbicides and pesticides.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Truly horrifying. Every time I eat something that's not organic and labeled non-GMO, I worry that I am ingesting a genetically modified organism that was exposed to cancer causing herbicides and pesticides.

I have the same feelings, Bridget. One point, though: if it says it's organic and really is (but how can we ever really know) it is not GMO. In other words, the labeling is needed on non-organic crops, as the organic crops cannot, by definition, be genetically modified.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Heron

Of all the things you listed above
Writing their own protection laws is the very worse. With out that they could not do any of the other.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I have the same feelings, Bridget. One point, though: if it says it's organic and really is (but how can we ever really know) it is not GMO. In other words, the labeling is needed on non-organic crops, as the organic crops cannot, by definition, be genetically modified.
Does organic always mean non-GMO? I've bought organic foods that weren't labeled non-GMO. Maybe they weren't organic, maybe just natural?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Heron

Chances are if you see something labeled organic it probably is. Where you get into grey areas are your fruits and veggies. I for one like peeling a grapefruit in the morning and all I ever see is Rio Grande which doesn't tell me much.

I'm hoping that removing the rind makes it safe but who knows?
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

liquid>
Agreed, “Of all the things you listed above
Writing their own protection laws is the very worse.” There’s something glaringly missing from the list though…. our elected officials… those beasts of prey we call public servants…. have been allowing them to patent life. Without the ability to patent life…. which has never made it to the Supreme Court…. they would not have the control over our food that they currently enjoy. I got on a good roll over here because I ran across where Monsanto just openly joined the Big Business Coalition for UN Agenda 21, March Against Monsanto. Unless there’s some way to stop that…. we’re screwed.
--
bridget? "Does organic always mean non-GMO?" It used to.... it doesn't necessarily mean what we're buying is 100% free any longer. Our elected officials screwed with the requirements.... they loosened them. I'm sure you're shocked. Just kidding. Natural doesn't mean squat anymore.... it's just marketing. The best we can do is grow our own. We can all do that so next best would be buying as much organic produce as we can afford from the grocery store and for other things like chips and such....we need to be on the lookout for the certified USDA organic label. That label still means something.... for how long.... I dunno because it seems like every time I turn around more requirements are being "relaxed".

adding... I forgot to mention that they made the certification process virtually inaccessible to family farmers. The USDA literally buried them in paperwork and fees so now it seems only the multinationals can label their food certified organic and they're what's behind the "relaxing" and "loosening" of all the requirements.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 05-31-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
WG Staff

Default How Monsanto Is Planning To Profit From Climate Change

How Monsanto Is Planning To Profit From Climate Change
Disinformation
By JacobSloan
October 13, 2013

How Monsanto Is Planning To Profit From Climate Change - disinformation
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Not everyone is either worried or skeptical regarding man-made global warming. Mother Jones on how Monsanto is eagerly banking on it:

Data to help farmers grow crops in a changing climate. Climate Corporation, which Monsanto is acquiring, sells detailed weather and soil information to “help…manage and adapt to climate change.” Monsanto thinks the ag data business will be a $20-billion market.

Insurance for when it’s too hot, cold, dry, wet, or otherwise extreme outside. Climate Corporation currently sells both federally subsidized crop insurance and supplemental plans.

Drought-resistant corn. Monsanto lists the effects of...
Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
WG Staff

Default Mayans Win Huge Battle to Ban GMO Soy Crops

Mayans Win Huge Battle to Ban GMO Soy Crops
by Christina Sarich
March 20th, 2014 Updated 03/20/2014 at 12:33 am

http://naturalsociety.com/mayans-win-huge-battle-ban-gmo-crops/
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Mayans of the Campeche Region have just won a two-year legal battle to get rid of Monsanto and their GMO soybeans (suicide beans). Following the ban of GM maize in Mexico, this ancient and agriculturally savvy culture has won a major battle against biotech monopolies around the globe.

The Second District Court ruled in favor of three Mayan communities from the Hopelchén township who dared to take on the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock , Rural Development, Fisheries and Food ( Sagarpa) and the Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources ( SEMARNAT).

This means that…

Last edited by Staff; 04-17-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Mayans Win Huge Battle to Ban GMO Soy Crops
Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
WG Staff

Default Monsanto demands removal of Mexican judge over GM maize ban

Monsanto demands removal of Mexican judge over GM maize ban
Intellihub.com
By Christina Sarich
April 12, 2014 1:42 PM EDT

Monsanto demands removal of Mexican judge over GM maize ban | Intellihub News
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Want to know Big Ag’s solution if it doesn’t get the unquestioned support they desire? Just throw out the judge. That’s what is happening now as Monsanto asks for the Appeals Court Judge who ruled against them in Mexico to be removed.

Following two separate rulings to ban GMO, Monsanto made an official request for the removal of Judge Jaime Manuel Marroquin Zaleta. The country is currently resisting Monsanto’s attempt to grow GM maize in one of its most important crop zones. If biotech got their way, more than 7000 years of indigenous maize could be ruined. More than 60 varieties would be put in danger through cross-pollination should Monsanto find a way to be above justice.

Monsanto is playing with immoral legal tactics to try to overturn not just the decision of Judge Zaleta, but by attempting to remove him from his chair. The biotech company claims that Zaleta stated his opinion on the case before…

Tags
gardening, gmo, herbicide, horrifying, monsanto, pesticide, things