Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Study says leafy greens top food poisoning source

Study says leafy greens top food poisoning source
Published January 29, 2013
Associated Press

Study says leafy greens top food poisoning source | Fox News
excerpts from above:
Quote:
A big government study has fingered leafy greens like lettuce and spinach as the leading source of food poisoning, a perhaps uncomfortable conclusion for health officials who want us to eat our vegetables
Quote:
While more people may have gotten sick from plants, more died from contaminated poultry, the study also found. The results were released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans - or 48 million people- gets sick from food poisoning. That includes 128,000 hospitalization and 3,000 deaths, according to previous CDC estimates.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
WG Staff

Default Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/
Old 02-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Heron

Years ago when they first started putting baby spinach all cut up and in bags -- way --- before -----people got sick on the spinach in a bag - I bought it, and smelled, and threw it out.

If little o'le me knew this ------

I am sure that I was not the only one??? --- AND Where was FDA and the CDC in all of this?
They waited till a lot of people got sick.. like they could not see it coming?????

People cannot nor should depend on these government agencies that have over the years grown into a huge tax money gobbling, yet ineffective agencies. They neither earned nor deserve our tax dollars.

I feel horrible when I question the motives of agencies trying to save our forest -- but I do not feel a bit bad -- bad mouthing the FDA, CDC or the NIH ( NIH, which by the way receives the most money than all the government agencies - out pacing even the military by huge, unbelievable amounts).

And the health of Americans from all the taxes we pay to support this behemoth are ranking is number 37 in the world.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
WG Writer

Sounds like a good reason to grow your own.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

But lots of us must buy our produce. Condos and apartments aren't "right to farm" communities. ;/
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Heron

My take on this is;
IF you are going to buy lettuce and spinach which I do in the winter - I try not to buy it in a sealed bag already cut up.
Although I really like romaine and others - and not so much the iceberg. Save a Lot only offers the iceberg uncut in a loose wrap. So, I have to travel out of town to get good salad other than iceberg that is not in a totally closed tight bag.

Even with the uncut in a loose wrap: I fill up the sink and wash it up and down in several rinses. It would be a good idea to put a teaspoon or two of hydrogen peroxide in one of the rinses.

After that I drain it for a bit in a colander and then I cut it up.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Point source pollution.... none of our politicians will deal with it because it would result in the eqivalent of tossing their multinational “partners” into the ring with a very angry mob of American tax payers and…. well…. they can’t risk doing what's right by their own children and grandchildren when there’s always an election around the corner. Soooo…. they’ll keep funding endless research into what’s the cheapest way to mask the symptoms of much larger problems…. it’s all about maintaing "mutually beneficial" relationships with BigAg by kicking the can as far down the road as they can.
--
Oh man oh man.... I really should get out shoveling!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Bagged greens spoil within a matter of a few days once you open them.
Make a grab for the bags" behind" what's up front on the shelves in the store and check the dates! Newer stock is almost "always" set in the back if they are stocking things proper.... If it's contents are starting to look more green than they were they were they are already on their way to spoiling. I sometimes salvage what's in the bag by taking the darker ones out and rinsing their residue from what's still good.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Heron

Havalotta

It seems to me that bag greens spoil in a matter of minutes, hours!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Must have something to do with oxygen or whatever gasses are released in the fridge because they seem to last or be on hold until you open them...That is up to a point anyway.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bagged lettuce, fda, food, food borne illness, food poisoning, food safety, greens, leafy, leafy greens, lettuce, poisoning, source, sprouts, study, top, wrapped lettuce