Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Who can spot the problem with Wikipedia’s new definition of native plant?

Who can spot the problem with Wikipedia’s new definition of native plant:

Native plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Fox

One of my favorite pet peeves. Naturalized is not native. 'Naturalized' means introduced non-native species that has established a population that is self sustaining. Naturalized is commercial nonsense used to sell non-native species to an unsuspecting public. Naturalized is also used to confuse/deceive people about native plants.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Fox

"in geologic time" wiggles around that issue.

The wording of the whole definition is questionable, e.g. this redundancy: "(e.g. trees, flowers, grasses, and other plants)."
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Fox

Even by Wikipedia's own definition of 'naturalized' the species being designated as naturalized has to be non-native.
Quote:
In biology, naturalisation is any process by which a non-native organism spreads into the wild and its reproduction is sufficient to maintain its population. Such populations are said to be naturalised.
Naturalisation (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there were some geologic time period after which a naturalized species were to be deemed a native species it would cease to be non-native. Therefore no longer would it meet the definition of 'naturalized'.

While it's 'naturalized' it's a non-native. If it's native it's not 'naturalized'.

I think "In geologic time" is worse than just a wiggle factor. Time would only be one of many factors to consider with respect to being a native species. Time would be one of the least meaningful measures. A new species is native to it's location the day it evolves. Other species still might not be biologically integrated into the ecosystem that they were introduced to a thousand years ago.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Fox

Clorox whatwiki,

'naturalized' I'm agreeing with NEWisc at this point, just because your spelling is better than that newfangled wikiwampedia.

I found this over here: Audubon At Home ~~A broader definition that is widely accepted is that offered by the Federal Native Plant Committee: “a native plant species is one that occurs naturally in a particular region, state, ecosystem, and habitat without direct or indirect human actions.” ~~
might be a little more useful, and perhaps less wiggly, as Benj1 & I would say.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
'naturalized' I'm agreeing with NEWisc at this point, just because your spelling is better than that newfangled wikiwampedia.

I found this over here: Audubon At Home ~~A broader definition that is widely accepted is that offered by the Federal Native Plant Committee: “a native plant species is one that occurs naturally in a particular region, state, ecosystem, and habitat without direct or indirect human actions.” ~~
might be a little more useful, and perhaps less wiggly, as Benj1 & I would say.

ww
I agree that it's a much better definition.

I think that the core of a definition for 'native' is the understanding that a species has developed important relationships with the other floral, faunal, and microbial members of of a particular ecosystem. Those relationships have developed through the evolutionary process of natural selection. The ecosystem is 'tuned' by all of the natural events that it is exposed to, and the selection processes, in such a manner that resiliency and functionality become important elements of that ecosystem's characteristics.

OK, down off my soapbox now.

(Did I mention that I really dislike 'naturalized'?! )

Tags
definition, native, plant, problem, spot, wikipedia’s, wikipedia’s