Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Heron

It's my understanding that CWD has been present in wild deer populations in the western US for some time and it has recently moved east with the advent of deer farms and moving deer around for breeding purposes. Not sure how it got there my knowledge of prions is about the same as yours but I'm pretty sure that they can persist in the soil where infected animals were kept for many years and are fairly indestructible. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can fill us in.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Heron

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...rch_cwd-14.pdf

Just a real quick post from me on a fact sheet put out by the NWRC about what research the disease program is doing.

I've been covered up at work, and now I'm headed south to the motherland for some Mardi Gras!

ttfn
kchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion )... I'm trying to be hip using fancy tyrping shortcuts…..you nailed it recurve…. I doubt seriously if prions will “respect” that double fencing that’s been proposed as a “fix”.
--
kchd> when you’ve got time…. after you go get your mardi gras fix…. man oh man does heading south anywhere sound nice right about now since I’m gonna have to go out and shovel the snow that fell overnight….. I’d be sorta curious knowing how you feel about this from that link you added, “Investigators concluded the enzyme, produced by soil
bacterium, successfully degraded CWD prions bound to contaminated soil. Although
it may be impossible to totally eliminate prions in the environment, a topical enzyme
treatment could help limit indirect disease transmission to cervids in some areas.” Me…. I’m not that comfortable with their “conclusions”…. proteinaceous infectious particles don't need genetic material to replicate…. we’ve been able to successfully create disease phenotypes in vitro…. and…. to date it’s been my understanding they’ve been resistant to any and all attempts to kill them. I gotta go shovel snow for an hour or so…. feel sorry for me!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Heron

I do Equil;
I really do!

I have been where you are when I was up in Michigan and Hubby gone all the time. He left the snow plow on the Kubota for me and I would go out every night and plow before my daughter got off of her little Taco Bell job.

It stayed off pretty well -- except the wind up there likes to blow that snow around -- come morning and time to take my son to school and my daughter to head out to her college classes there would be a five foot drift right in front of the garage door.

It is like it had a brain and was trying to get on my nerves. I am so glad to be back home! So sorry for you all up there!
Spring comes some times around here in the middle of Feb. Most times though in March --- All of April it snows and is cold in Michigan -- all of April is just another winter month up there.

It would be okay if the cold would kill some prions.

But wait! They are not alive so they can't be killed.

There is so much we don't know about prions and this is an animal known to carry more diseases that you can shake a stick at -- that does not need to be crowded.

Those deer breeders better be careful -- they could end up losing their lives and their family's lives.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
--
kchd> when you’ve got time….….. I’d be sorta curious knowing how you feel about this from that link you added, “Investigators concluded the enzyme, produced by soil
bacterium, successfully degraded CWD prions bound to contaminated soil. Although
it may be impossible to totally eliminate prions in the environment, a topical enzyme
treatment could help limit indirect disease transmission to cervids in some areas.
Hiya Lib, long time no see. Such is life...

What do I think? Considering that the scientists are conservative in drawing their conclusions, I'd say that yes, they were able to degrade some of the prions, but not all, as they readily admit.

I do not think the authors are trying to promote deer farming by saying "Look! We have this great tool we can use on prions! No problem!" In fact, I don't think the authors are fans of deer farming. What I think the research does is provide a tool for reducing CWD prions in the soil. Until we can get state legislators to use their brains, listen to wildlife biologists, and recognize the dangers associated with deer farming, we're gonna need all the tools we can get, because the disease potential associated with deer farming is scary.... IMNSHO (LOL).
kchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Ya... me too..... snow... then more snow.... and now more snow on the way tomorrow along with knitting classes and everything else!!
--
I'm totally with ya..... I don't think the authors were trying to promote deer farming either.... I do think the "research" permitted was well "vetted" by.... some pretty powerful people grasping at straws so they can move forward doing what they want to do with less opposition from the public. I don't believe the ideological elite have any intentions of placing themselves in the extremely awkward position of having to listen to any wildlife biologist coming right out and saying.... don't do it for the sake of public health. And.... they won't have to.... I think the funding process for research is extremely well "controlled"... so much so that.... there's never gonna be any funding freed up for any research capable of inadvertently knocking the wind out of any of their "pet" projects. I really believe with all my heart that our peer review process desperately needs some overhauling and FULL disclosure of all funding sources too!!! Here's hoping I see that BEFORE I die.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
Heron

"Such legislation has the potential to shift authority for PTW resources, specifically captive white-tailed deer, away from state fish and wildlife agencies to departments of agriculture or state veterinarians, thereby undermining science-based management by wildlife biologists."

Unfortunately this is already the case here in Ohio! Captive whitetail deer management has been turned over to the Dept. of Ag.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

And..... that my friend.... was most likely the goal. They're effectively neutering our scientists by controlling what they can "research" and who gets the research $$$s.... catch-22 says the ideological elite can do anything we can't stop them from doing.
--
Public health and the environment just got pushed to a back burner.... again.... for their greater good!!!

adding something.... cool new avatar you picked!!! That's the hulk, right? Love it!!!

Last edited by Equilibrium; 02-25-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post

adding something.... cool new avatar you picked!!! That's the hulk, right? Love it!!!
It was gifted to me from a comment in the spring herald thread. Ask and you shall receive
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
Heron

Cutting off research dollars is the same as controlling what is researched -- how very true.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deer, farming, legislation, propposed