Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Pesticides: Now More Than Ever

Pesticides: Now More Than Ever
December 13th, 2012
New York Times
By Mark Bittman

Pesticides: Now More Than Ever | Cornucopia Institute
excerpt from above:
Quote:
How quickly we forget.

After the publication of “Silent Spring,” 50 years ago, we (scientists, environmental and health advocates, birdwatchers, citizens) managed to curb the use of pesticides[1] and our exposure to them — only to see their application grow and grow to the point where American agriculture uses more of them than ever before.

And the threat is more acute than ever. While Rachel Carson[2] focused on their effect on “nature,” it’s become obvious that…
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Fox

poison I can't imagine 404 million pounds

A related article

Pesticide use increases with GM crops | The Organic & Non-GMO Report

reports some interesting numbers:

"The annual increase in the herbicides required to deal with tougher-to-control weeds on cropland planted to GM cultivars has grown from 1.5 million pounds in 1999 to about 90 million pounds in 2011."

Some wildwatcher quick math might be useful to imagine the enormity of 90 million pounds of herbicide transported only last year. Most bulk tanker semi-trucks capacity is around 45,000lbs. of product. Divide 90 million pounds by 45,000lbs. = 1,980 truck loads.

wildwatcher
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

You missed adding a visual of the increase in synthetic fertilizers our reliance on GMO'ed crops has created. Imagine.... for a moment.... composters outside every restaurant from coast to coast where all the food scraps went instead of getting hauled off to landfills. Not only would it be good for us and for our lands using "homemade" fertilizer.... it'd create jobs here for us!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Fox

pawprint

Well yes of course, Equilibrium, I too should resolve to be enduring...hehee tytyty for the happy reminder, I needed that!

weird game huh.

ww
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Heron

They have banned some pesticides though, right?
The mercury ones they use to put on lawns and golf courses.
DPT of course.
What about the ones that contain arsenic around the apple trees?

What is the stuff they spray from an airplane and trucks drive by in the evenings spraying for mosquitoes?

I am still trying to learn how to put those icons on. But it is Christmas eve and my real effort - will be after Christmas.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Fox

apple Lysol floor cleaner is still being sold

hey liquidambar, icons are kina easy, but there is a little trick: select at the bottom of your page that your posting on, 'select: Go Advanced', that will get you to the same posting box (on any tread) except the advanced version have more bells and whistles...look for the hyperlink there that says smilies [more] and that will 'pop up a window' with a bunch of icons to choose. I click 'go advanced' alot of times to simply proofread/preview my post, before actually posting.

As for poisons, I don't know what is banned or status. That is why I just don't buy pesticides in general, that way, I'm not supporting poison industry. I think there is a substance called glyphosphate that I heard kills the weed thru nutrient blocking at the root system, but the part I don't hold with, is that the stuff stays in the dirt, even after the weed starved to death. I'm pretty sure gasoline will do the same thing, kill the weed & remain in the dirt...so I don't use those type substances. I think some practices might be used at times for good reason & result, but I generally stay away from heavy duty poisons.

I have used some heavy duty "lysol floor cleaner" to spray around with my garden hose attachment, we had inherited a serious case of chiggars in the yard, but repeated use of the yellow soap, really worked for me. I think it is fairly mild, it doesn't seem to bother the local grandaddy longlegs or grass hopperz around here. I try not to spray the water diluted soap around the rock piles or the wood piles, cuz of the lizards, worms, salamanders, & frogs don't want it.

ww
Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Sleight of hand going on IMO. We did ban the use of methyl mercury in fungicides. Just an FYI…. we can’t use inorganic mercury in paint anymore but…. it can still be used in pesticides including fungicides and…. elemental mercury can still be used in our fillings, thermometers, and a host of other “things” that I'd have to start yahooing to list off. You meant DDT… …. that’s ONLY banned as an insecticide…. Silly wishful you thinking all arsenic was banned!!! Lead hydrogen arsenic’s use is….. ONLY banned in products sold to us and even then…. it was replaced with “less” toxic forms of organic arsenic in consumer products. Catch that…. replaced with less toxic forms because…. a few too many of us ended up brain damaged. it’s pretty much a free for all out there because it can still be used in just about anything that’s not produced for the public and…. the bill that woulda banned it from animal feeds in 2009 or ‘10…. never made it out of the house. BigAg and just about everyone else can still use lead hydrogen arsenic.
--
What is the stuff they spray from an airplane” It depends on which airplane but even so…. it’s still a “secret”. That “stuff” getting sprayed out of tankers and crop planes is why I decided to raise honeybees. If my hives get certified…. I’m supposed to get a 24 hour notice. That’ll be enough time for me to cover up the main beds of native plants that my native bees frequent and plenty of time to cover up my veggie beds while pulling my chicken feed into the coop for the day. With more cities and counties banning chemtrails…. I’m hoping my notifications will someday include more than just what’s being sprayed on the farm fields around me as in…. what’s getting sprayed on us by military and commercial jets.
--
What’s getting sprayed out of the trucks at night…. it depends..... you probably won’t want to start following the $$$ on that right now…. it's the holidays.
--
ww> it kills me seeing all the food that gets pitched at restaurants. I know this is gonna sound totally classless but.... everytime I go to a restaurant I ask for a take home container and scrape our plates off into it then come home and feed my composter. I know... I know.... tacky.... really tacky and classless but.... it kills me thinking of all those scraps edning up in landfills and I've been doing this for so long that when I go out to eat with people from work.... they pass my container around and scrape off their own plates into it for me.
--
I'm with ya on steering clear of household chemicals and pesticides. RoundUp is actually nasty "stuff"... the active ingredient isn't exactly "safe" like what they advertised but....when combined with the surfactant used in the formulation that's sold in the US.... we're talking a lethal cocktail.

Tags
pesticides