Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

ww> “Now, now Equilibrium, don't worry Canada's environment is definitely paying a very high price for the tar sands development~~~not that anyone gives a care.” Actually…. I do feel sorry for Canadians because…. they like us…. won’t get anything out of the deal except bills to offset Trans-Canada’s operating expenses but…. it’s a Canadian project NOT ours. Why do we have to help Trans-Canada defray their environmental costs by letting them cut through our lands to international waters with their product all because their own “indigenous” peoples exercised their treaty rights to lands in their path which put a STOP to going through Canadian wilds to get to the Pacific coast? Canadians weren’t willing to accept the ecological destruction that would ensue so why should we be willing to accept it? So now….. we’re being told we have to be good neighbors by letting this Canadian corporation cut through our lands so they can get their product to the Gulf and off to market>>>? I’ve got a problem with that. Thoughts of ruptured pipelines are racing through my mind what with all the earthquakes we’ve been experiencing and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. You and me know Americans will never be fully compensated for the long term costs of their project and that irreversible damage will be done and it didn’t have to be this way. We’ve been stripped of our right to say NO by politicians acting in their best interests not ours.
--
It’s about 40k for a 700’ well in the Hill Country of TX and….. there’s no guarantee you’ll hit water and that doesn’t include the cost of building an approved septic field that would be another 40k or the cost of anything going wrong with the site chosen to drill for water. What that means is that if you start drilling and if you don’t hit water at the location where you “set up” shop…. you’ll have to abandon and cap that site and try for an aquifer at another location and…. you’ll get hit with another bill for… drum roll please….another 40k…. well drilling contractors can’t take responsibility for whether or not a well site yields or not. It happens in TX just like it happens where I am all the time. People buy land in rural and quasi rural locations and they don’t realize that finding an aquifer can be hit or miss on the 1st try or that they could hit an aquifer that somebody like Pickens already tapped into or…. like you said…. the water quality may be so poor that the health department won’t approve it which means bearing the added expense of capping off that well and starting the drilling process over in another location. Now…. adding to the financial misery….. our North American water tables haven’t been recharging thanks to all the global entities with straws in our aquifers like Nestle and then there’s the peeker plants that pop up overnight. EACH peeker plant uses millions of gallons of water DAILY which means we’re always at risk of having to bear the expense of re-drilling a well. Because of the peeker plant by me that all of us fought tooth and nail that ended up getting pushed through the approval process for the 3 “green” jobs (uh huh…. you’re reading that right…. only 3 green jobs… they…. er uh…. forgot to mention the plant was fully automated), HALF of the wells in my subdivision went dry and had to be re-drilled at the homeowner’s expense within the 12 months following completion of the peeker plant.
--
Was it coincidence that no wells had ever gone dry before the peeker plant was up and operational? Was it coincidence that half of all the homes in our subdivision ended up getting condemned as well after well after well went dry? Well, that’s what we’re told. Our wells going dry in a year where there was no 500 year drought let alone a 100 year drought was all coincidence. In case anyone’s wondering…. they condemn houses when wells go dry around here so not only do we have to re-drill or start from scratch drilling in another location on our property…. we have to find some place else to live while we’re reestablishing a potable water supply. 6 years ago when this happened to us…. we weren’t empty nesters. Try finding someone who will rent to a family with 5 boys, 3 jumbo dogs (English Mastiff and 2 Great Danes), and I think we had 6 indoor cats at the time. Soooo….. as if it wasn’t bad enough getting socked with well drilling or re-drilling costs…. families were hit even lower below the belt paying for temporary housing which around here…. was running anywhere from 1.5k to 2.5k for a short term lease and that usually didn’t include animals so those ended up getting boarded for the duration….. yet another bill. This scenario plays out everywhere these peeker plants get built and none of our public servants seem to want to make the connection that they run local wells dry so…. no need covering us by contractually forcing developers to assume any liability for ensuing dry wells.
--
We tried to pool our resources to get the developers to ante up but we were told by local government we’d have to prove our wells had gone dry because of the plant they’d approved and by then…. there was no way to go back in time before construction on the peeker plant had started to cover our bases by doing the requisite base line studies. We were blind sighted. So…. the developers WALKED scott free on millions and millions of millions and millions of $$$ of wells and this is what happens to the local residents anytime a “green” project like this gets fast tracked…. we end up bearing the expense of “collectively” fighting a project that unbeknownst to any of us has already been “pre-approved” behind closed doors…. then we end up bearing the costs of restoring potable water to our properties….. then we end up bearing more costs unsuccessfully trying to force them to take responsibility for their acts only to find out that “back room” deals were cut relieving them of any responsibility for damages to surrounding properties AND…. don’t forget…. these international developers were given tax breaks and grants to help build their peeker plants in our communities in exchange for "green" jobs for our citizens. We were 1 of the lucky families that was able to re-drill an existing well for about 12k. Others weren’t so lucky and had to drill new wells for 30-40k. That can bankrupt a family or force them into foreclosure and that’s exactly what it did to quite a few families. Nobody cared…. casualties of development for the greater good and…. beyond that…. our right to seek legal remedy had already been taken away from us by our public servants in exchange for those 3 “green” jobs. Oh oh oh…. forgot to mention…. the power generated from our “community” peeker plant…. it all goes to Canada… that was another little factoid they conveniently “forgot” to share with us during the process. We all assumed the power would be used locally to offset our electric bills while reducing our dependencies on coal plants. Hip Hip hoorah for Canadians again….. they got all the benefits of the “cheap” peeker plant energy at the expense of an entire community and the county in which it was built. Trade offs…. we really need to do a better job recognizing the trade-offs and long term consequences of these behind “closed doors” deals being made by our public servants.
--
Fracking…. don’t get me going again on the “actual” costs to us for allowing fracking because it’s not being studied…. the powers that be don’t want to know all the costs because little people would start demanding that developers put up multi-million $ bonds instead of those insultingly low 10k bonds and my bet is…. little people would start demanding that studies be done before approval of any such “green” project to discover ALL the long term costs so those costs could be covered by the developers instead of being pushed onto our backs, The Truth Behind Fracking - "The Sky is Pink," an emergency film by "Gasland" producer Josh Fox. and http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...llinois-2.html.
--
Pipelines, peeker plants, fracking, coal extraction out west on land we’re leasing cheap to “developing” countries, fresh water getting harvested from the Great Lakes and OUR largest North American aquifers that’s then shipped overseas in spragg bags to re-charge the depleted aquifers of “developing” countries are but some of the activities taking a toll on us and our ability to provide for ourselves in the future. We get stripped of our natural resources….the multinationals get the profits and…. we’re stuck with long term and incidental costs AND all the costs of unintended consequences not to mention the costs of restoration and revegetation. Suchadeal for us- not. We’re actually subsidizing operations that are fleecing us because not only are environmental impact studies being waived for the multinationals so they can continue their good work in developing countries… studies that would benefit us are being waived too. I guess I’d be for these projects if these multinationals were forced to hand over all their carbon credits to the American people so we could cash them in and use them righting the many ecological wrongs and for things like….. oh…. drilling new wells and re-drilling existing wells for our people when things go wrong but…. that’s not happening. They’re pocketing the carbon credits and applying them toward future “green” projects and we’re stuck holding the bag and many of us end up with 2nd mortgages because of these unorthodox practices of catering to these multinational developers instead of to Americans.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

rcwarship> bet you thought I missed your comment!!! I didn't.... I had to split the post!!!
--
I think that environmentalists have it wrong, Canada is cleaning the sands of that disgusting polluting oil & is restoring the environment, eh?” Ha ha ha…. I resemble that remark…. I’m an environmentalist…. not a BigGreen “AGW’s a fact” environmentalist but a LittleGreen environmentalist and there is a HUGE difference!!! I’m all for development…. don’t get me wrong…. I’m just for full discovery and disclosure so little guys don’t get stuck subsidizing the elite's “green” projects when there’s nothing in it for them. And about this pipeline…. there’s nothing in it for ordinary people like you and me. That Canadian “product”… once it hits the coast….. is going to get sold to the highest global bidder…. no deals were cut that guarantee Americans… or future generations of Americans any of the “product” at a reduced rate to help us offset the rising cost of living expenses and beyond that…. the travesty of justice is that they’re trampling the constitutional rights of little people in the path of that pipeline all the way to the coast not to mention what they’re doing to OUR public lands…. as in our wilds. Ever heard of eminent domain? Well…. that’s something most of us don’t like thinking about even if we do know what it is because…. that happens to other people not to us. Eminent domain isn’t exactly being covered by mainstream media… as in… out of sight… out of mind. They’d like us to believe only isolated land grabs are occurring under the protected auspices of eminent domain but…. that couldn’t be further from the truth BECAUSE our public servants (cough, choke, gag, puke) gave them eminent domain authority over little people in our country who lack the financial resources to fight them off. Just because it’s not being covered…. or “played down” when they’re forced to cover it because somebody starts squealing like a stuck pig…. doesn’t mean it’s not happening to tens of thousands of Americans who have the misfortune of owning properties in the way of development they’re being forced to sell at a loss for “the greater good of humanity” that once developed…. we’re being told will help save humanity by staving off the catastrophic effects of global warming…. how would we feel if our property… the single greatest “investment” we probably have….. was in the path of another country’s proposed pipeline and we were strong armed by corrupt local officials into selling at a price that their “partners” and “stakeholders” determined to be fair market or else? That’s what’s going on right now… at a time when property values are waaaaaaaay down due to forces well out of our control. Refuse to sell and they’ll legally condemn our land and take it at a price that’s even artificially lower than the existing market because everyone knows that condemned property is worth less than property that isn’t and although the powers that be aren’t sharing the details with us…. we all know they approved that pipeline behind “closed doors” at the expense of us lowly little constituents so all privately owned properties in its path are being even further devalued. You bet I know about this…. we’ve started looking for property in TX and it’s not easy figuring out what’s in the path of that pipeline and what isn’t because it’s a secret so locals who can afford to bail can bail without taking as heavy of a hit. We’re talking a game of hot potato right now and even more of us will lose our entire life savings over it. I pity the poor landowners who have already lost their properties to Canada’s pipeline…. many of them have been forced to sell at .50˘ dollars and I pity future generations of us that will “collectively” get stuck footing the bills for repairing and restoring our public lands… our wilds…. to their pre-pipeline condition because nobody is forcing the owners of that corporation to contractually absorb ALL of the project costs…. long term costs are being hidden from public view and…. quite effectively I might add. IMO…..those 10k bonds should be an insult to every American.
--
FWIW…..I feel that we…. as in we the people…. really need to start standing up for the little guys. If but for nothing else than…. the fact that our properties could be next for “appropriation” for some perceived “greater good” project that’s in the works. United we stand…. divided we’ll fall in numbers too big to ignore and who will be left to stand up for us when our rights are being trampled then?
--
Even if I did just blow off my whole lunch… and then some…. posting here when I meant to post in the visiting Dappy thread….. I’m really glad BOTH of you guys posted here. It brought it back up so I could “vent”. I always feel better when I “vent” even if nothing ever comes of it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

Equilibrium, you go girl!!!
Always a pleasure reading your posts.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Jon
rcwarship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

No.... you go girl (even though I know you're a him)!!!! It's a pleasure having you here!!!! I LOVED that book you donated to Sage's photo of the month contest!!! How awesome was that!!! That'll give more of us a way to "undo" some of these ecological wrongs.... albeit on a much smaller scale but... little strokes fell great oaks and all!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Going going gone….. Looks like our lands WERE sold out by our (cough gag choke puke) public servants supposedly in exchange for “jobs” for us… they’re just finalizing the deal now…. behind closed doors. What really went on is that our elected kleptocrats were busy busy beavers clearing paths for their “stakeholders’” and “partners’” pipelines and other pet “projects” in need of unobstructed access to OUR natural resources for their “greater” good, ‘US Pushes Pacific Trade Agenda Despite Shutdown', US Pushes Pacific Trade Agenda Despite Shutdown - ABC News and ‘Trans-Pacific Partnership Talks Headed For Finish Line Amid Official Secrecy', Trans-Pacific Partnership Talks Headed For Finish Line Amid Official Secrecy. And as of today during this “shutdown”, ‘Despite Shutdown, President Pushes Hard to Finish TPP', Despite Shutdown, President Pushes Hard to Finish TPP, "The “shutdown” may have blocked veterans from trying to visit memorials, but it hasn’t blocked President Obama from trying to surrender U.S. sovereignty to a body of globalist bureaucrats….a draft document leaked to the Internet discloses that as part of its membership in the TPP, the United States would agree to exempt foreign corporations from our laws and regulations, placing the resolution of any disputes as to the applicability of those matters to foreign business in the hands of an international arbitration tribunal overseen by the secretary-general of the United Nations.…the redrawing of national boundaries and domestic legal processes being carried out in secret by the globalists sitting around the TPP negotiating table is an attack on American laws, American courts, American freedom of expression, American sovereignty, and the right of Americans to hold lawmakers accountable for the laws they make.”
--
All the wheeling and dealing that’s being done behind closed doors by our (cough gag choke puke) public servants synchronizes with the UN’s Agenda 21 but… feel free to do your own research. Excellent read from an “ordinary” person like you and me right here, Agenda 21 vs. the TPP | Sharon Delgado. That Agenda 21 treaty signed by our (cough gag choke puke) public servants at the Earth Summit isn’t binding but….. the executive orders that have been signed by Bozo harmonize with it and this TPP…. if signed…. would be legally binding.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
WG Staff

Default WikiLeaks Exposes What Obama's Secret Trade Deal Would Do To The Environment

WikiLeaks Exposes What Obama's Secret Trade Deal Would Do To The Environment
Posted: 01/15/2014 12:22 pm EST | Updated: 01/15/2014 5:18 pm EST
by Kate Sheppard

WikiLeaks Exposes What Obama's Secret Trade Deal Would Do To The Environment
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The leaked documents come from a meeting of the trade deal's chief negotiators held in Salt Lake City, Utah, from Nov. 19 to 24, 2013. The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) includes 12 countries –- the United States, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Chile, Singapore, Peru, Vietnam, New Zealand and Brunei –- and would govern a number of international environmental and trade issues.

The draft indicates the pact will include a number of promises on the environment, but will lack strong enforcement tools. "When compared against other TPP chapters, the Environment Chapter is noteworthy for its absence of mandated clauses or meaningful enforcement measures," wrote WikiLeaks in its release. The chapter is intended to deal with issues like overfishing, trade of wood products, wildlife crime, and illegal logging. But most of the measures in the chapter are voluntary, rather than binding, and do not include penalties or criminal sanctions for violations. Compliance is largely left to...
Old 03-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
WG Staff

Default How Obama’s Chief Negotiators on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Treaty

How Obama’s Chief Negotiators on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Treaty Received Huge Bonuses from Mega Banks
Posted on February 19, 2014
Michael Krieger

How Obama’s Chief Negotiators on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Treaty Received Huge Bonuses from Mega Banks | A Lightning War for Liberty
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Anyone that has spent any time whatsoever looking into the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade treaty, understands that it is a oligarch crony capitalists’ wet dream. Being negotiated entirely in secret, the treaty is designed to institutionalize corporate rule, giving companies the ability to sue governments and prevent them from exerting regulatory control over their own societies.

Bill Moyers has described the treaty as...

Tags
environmentalist, ethics, oil, perverse, sands