Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > North American News and Current Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Great Horned Owl

I do still have my frustrated hands in the air. I know of all the press that attacks Gore, and I know his own carbon footprint is a red flag for anyone closely examining his message. Nevertheless, his film was the first mainstream call to arms that generated a substantial response.

i make no claims about Al's own morally upright, environmental stance. I don't know him except through excessively biased reporting on him in one direction or the other. But what I do perceive is that the basic message of his film was both needed and sufficiently alarmist. It has been the response to the film that has been most frustrating, with ideologues and right-wingers attacking its message without even watching it first.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Default Global Warming is real. Read this before it's too late.

From the Washington Post.

Quote:
The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consult, at Bergen , Norway .

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm.

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I apologize; I neglected mentioning this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 90 years ago.

Ever watch the series "Lost"? There is our answer; we are all dead and just don't know or accept it.

I fact checked this myself; snopes.com: Global Warming -- 1922 TRUE

Paranoia is like the common cold these days. Let’s be careful out there.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
The Bug Whisperer

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/sc...ential.html?hp

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Do you really believe that all the climatologists in the world are part of some massive conspiracy?
No, not all of the climatologists in the world. And not necessarily a conspiracy. The fact is that some climatologists subscribe to the Chicken Little "the sky is falling" global warming theory. And the rest do not. Each is entitled to their opinion. The problem comes in when politicians start mandating changes when there is no proof to back the theories.

Change is a constant in this world. Remember back in the 70's when the chicken littles were screaming that we were heading for an ice age and we'd all freeze to death, and wanted to sprinkle soot on the polar caps to save us from freezing? Now they're back and screaming we'll cook to death.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
The Bug Whisperer

The appearance of a controversy has been fostered both by a concerted campaign by business interests having a huge stake in maintaining the status quo and a very poor job of reporting by the mainstream media outlets - see Got Science? Not at News Corporation | Union of Concerned Scientists for an example.

As for the 1970s 'ice age' scenario, that was a tempest in a teapot created in the lay press by cherry-picking phrases out of context, and distorting what was said by scientists. Climatologists at that time were not claiming that an ice age was imminent, they were talking about what might happen on a 20,000-year time scale. Also bear in mind that climate modeling at that time was far cruder, and climatologists at that time were loathe to make shorter term predictions - see http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/nas-1975.html for an assessment.
Even if after reviewing current research articles and reports you still are not convinced that we are in an accelerated warming phase influenced by human activity, consider the results of being wrong on either side:
(1) Assume that you accept the hypothesis that anthropogenic global warming/climate change is real, and enact measures to reduce emission of atmospheric pollutants, but it turns out that that the hypothesis is false. The likely outcome would be that some energy costs would increase,and that some adjustments to life styles (less consumption, more reliance on public transport, etc.) might annoy/inconvenience some people, but the world on a whole would be a cleaner place.
(2) Assume that you accept the hypothesis that anthropogenic global warming/climate change is a hoax, take no corrective measures, and it turns out that the hypothesis is false. The likely consequences would be far worse than under the first scenario; rising sea levels would result in major human population shifts, extreme weather events (severe storms, etc.) would become more frequent, regional climatic shifts (drought, etc.) would be exacerbated and threaten our food supply, and our air and water would be under increasing threat from pollution.
Our climate always has been subject to change from natural causes, but with rare exceptions, the changes have occurred over time frames that allowed wildlife to adapt. The current rate of change threatens to overtake this ability on the part of many animals and plants, resulting in regional extinctions/extirpation.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
WG Facilitator

You are correct that the climate has always changed, and that nature always adapts.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Could/Might/Seems/What If- yadda yadda; Everybody listen to me; from here on out when any member implies/interjects any claim of an effect- this hurricane was caused by global warming/climate change- death toll rising- that member better offer up the line between the amount of heating and how that hurricane would not have occurred in previous years or I'm moving the whole damn post to a junk science forum. I haven't seen any attempts at linkage by carbon tax proponents. What I see is incessant attempts newslinking every catastrophic event to increasing carbon dioxide.

This downed theenvironmentsite.org boards. I won't let it down our boards.

"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
WG Staff

Default End this obsession over climate change: It stops us tackling floods and storms now say experts

End this obsession over climate change: It stops us tackling floods and storms now say experts
By Ben Spencer
PUBLISHED: 14:12 EST, 20 March 2014 | UPDATED: 10:26 EST, 21 March 2014

End this obsession over climate change: It stops us tackling floods and storms now say experts | Mail Online
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Obsessing over climate change is distracting politicians from dealing with floods and storms, experts warned yesterday.

Trying to link all extreme weather to man-made global warming ‘has been a social and policy disaster’, they said.

Instead, the focus should shift towards dealing with the impact of fierce weather, which will happen regardless of climate change, argued David Schultz and Vladimir Jankovic...

Tags
climate, cost, quadrillion, scam