Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Native Plants (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-native-plants/)
-   -   Seedheads and Winter Interest (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-native-plants/7780-seedheads-winter-interest.html)

dapjwy 12-03-2010 05:52 PM

Seedheads and Winter Interest

Driving in to work this morning, I spotted some dried curly dock (Rumex crispus) among other seed heads. Although it is a European native that I am removing on our own property, it got me thinking about natives that have attractive seed heads or that provide winter interest.

One that seems obvious to me are milkweed pods--through the years, I'm sure I've seen them featured in artwork through the years, so I'm sure I'm not alone in finding them attractive.

Another that I love is little bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium formerly Andropogon scoparius), especially sunlit from behind. It has an amazing color, especially in the rather drab winter landscape.

What plants provide winter interest in your yard, yarden, favorite natural setting, etc.? Please share your ideas (and pictures if you have them) to help us all add more interest to our winter landscapes.

JulieRaeJ 12-04-2010 01:07 AM

I am partial to Lespedeza capitata (Round headed bushclover), Eryngium yuccifolium(Rattlesnake master), & Sorgastrum nutans (Indiangrass). Of course these are favorites of mine through the growing season as well. Indiangrass is gorgeous in every season and turns golden in autumn.

dapjwy 12-04-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieRaeJ (Post 83350)
I am partial to Lespedeza capitata (Round headed bushclover), Eryngium yuccifolium(Rattlesnake master), & Sorgastrum nutans (Indiangrass). Of course these are favorites of mine through the growing season as well. Indiangrass is gorgeous in every season and turns golden in autumn.

JulieRaeJ,

I didn't know that Lespedeza capitata (Round headed bushclover) was native to my region, but after looking it up, I find that it is! :) Thanks for the suggestion. I did an image search, and although I didn't find any snow covered pictures, I did get a look at the seed heads. :)

Hopefully, as winter drops a white blanket onto many of our yards, members can add photos of their very own winter interest plants.

benj1 12-06-2010 07:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not many "interesting" seedheads left standing, just the common goldenrods, asters and grasses. Here are three that attract my notice while I'm out and about.
Attachment 21563
The sedge is not really that tall; I had to get low to highlight it's silhouette.

Attachment 21564 Attachment 21565

dapjwy 12-06-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benj1 (Post 83542)
Not many "interesting" seedheads left standing, just the common goldenrods, asters and grasses. Here are three that attract my notice while I'm out and about.
Attachment 21563
The sedge is not really that tall; I had to get low to highlight it's silhouette.

Attachment 21564 Attachment 21565

I'm going to look into carex crinita. I'm sure that and many others will look great covered in frost or snow. :)

Nice that you can find the beauty in poison ivy. (although its glossy leaves are attractive too! ...I liked it a lot better when I didn't seem to get it. Two years ago, I got a fairly bad case while digging up its roots--of course I didn't know what it was as it was dormant.)

dapjwy 01-02-2011 07:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some winter interest I took today:

dapjwy 02-17-2011 08:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was surprised to see that the seeds had not all blown away by now.

dapjwy 02-17-2011 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found another shot:

havalotta 02-17-2011 10:44 PM

So were you tempted an helped them along?

dapjwy 02-18-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 88018)
So were you tempted an helped them along?

I did that in the fall (along with other seeds). I've yet to plant them all but plan to this weekend. :)

Perhaps I can add a few more that hung out there all winter, but I'd like to let nature try to plant a few on her own. :) If I'd taken them all, I'd never have had the chance to get that shot!