Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #31
Fox

Gosh, everyone is rating themselves so low.

I'm going to have to downgrade myself to a 6 just to keep everything fair, because I have a huge Bradford pear in my front yard, a forsythia, lawn all around... since I didn't put the plants in, I didn't count them. Maybe I should have said I'm an 8/9 in my heart, but a 4/5 in my yard. Average is 6, then.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #32
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I think you all deserve 10s! I suppose the purpose of this rating game of mine was just to get every one to think a little bit more about what they're doing and why. And I like what you Circium, or rather Aldo Leopold said, about the importance of striving. The awareness of the 'consequences of my actions' is key.

And I do think there is a long learning curve benj1. I've been taking baby steps my whole life to get to where I am now and I'm still nowhere near a 10 in practice.

will-o-wisp, you've done yourself and your neighborhood a big favor by doing what you've already done, I'd give you much more than a 5. I have a funny story about Norway spruce but that can wait for another time!

I'm just so inspired and excited by all of you, so many interesting stories and life paths. I'm always happy to have visited with you all every day.

Now it's almost spring (Saturday, yay!) and my thoughts are turning to the new prairie bed. My little Orchard oriole friend came and sang to me again at dawn this morning. Everyday miracles are all around us if we just are quiet and listen.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
Salamander

I feel more comfortable reading these comments. Tks for starting this thread.

Lawn chemicals I will not use. Perhaps I am only a 3/4.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #34
Unicellular Fungi

I am reading so many altruistic reasons for conscientiously choosing to plant them. Baby steps.

Thank you for starting this thread linrose. The replies are incredibly endearing.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #35
WG Staff

I'm a 3 working on a 4. This year I'm killing off more invasives.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #36
WG Facebook Administrator

I'm not too sure what each point on the scale means. I've abolished my lawns, and my back yard is almost 100% natives to my county. However, I have some non-natives, even to the continent, in the front yard (daffodils, tulips, Norway spruce, rose of Sharon, Pieris japonica). And even in the back yard, I don't use local seed but buy plants and seed from other Great Lakes sources. An 8 maybe?
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Well, I suppose I kept the rules relatively vague so you can all interpret it as you see fit. That is telling in and of itself! So feel free to give yourselves whatever score you like. In a way this is sort of a freeing exercise. We can all breath easier knowing that it's OK whatever our rating, as long as we all have good intentions at heart.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #38
Official Plant Nerd

"An 8 maybe?". If I was grading you I'd give you like a 9.5. Where are the tulips and the daffodils going??? Are they gonna jump the sidewalk and make a break for the asphalt? The Norway maple is an ick but... you know that already and I'm sure it'd be out of there if you had anything to do with it. The Pieris japonica... notta big deal. The Hibiscus syriacus is another ick. You've got waaaaaaaaay less icks than me. You earned that fancy schmancy title they gave you fair and square!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #39
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"An 8 maybe?". If I was grading you I'd give you like a 9.5. Where are the tulips and the daffodils going??? Are they gonna jump the sidewalk and make a break for the asphalt? The Norway maple is an ick but... you know that already and I'm sure it'd be out of there if you had anything to do with it. The Pieris japonica... notta big deal. The Hibiscus syriacus is another ick. You've got waaaaaaaaay less icks than me. You earned that fancy schmancy title they gave you fair and square!!!
Not Norway maple - Norway spruce. I've been killing all the Norway maples on or near my property. LOL

I want to get rid of the Hibiscus syriacus but the wife likes it. I deadhead & hope it dies.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #40
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
I want to get rid of the Hibiscus syriacus but the wife likes it. I deadhead & hope it dies.
My ploy is this: I've planted native substitutes along side the row of syriacus, and when they get large enough, I plan to remove the syriacus and hope whe won't notice the change!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall, garden, garden for wildlife, garden habitat, gardening, gardening for wildlife, gardens, native gardens, native plant gardener, native plantings, native plants, native species, natives, non-native plants, plants, scale, yards