Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Fantastic! Always liked the look of the Turk's-cap, but I don't think it's quite native to northern New England. Midwesterners get so many of the best species. :P
I am thrilled to have it and finally see it bloom.

Yes, I just checked its range...I guess it doesnt reach up into New England.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #12

Sorry you are dealing with all of that, havalotta.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks for feeling for me. I went online last night and researched the heck out of what I have that I could multiply in place of what I ripped out that the deer were eating. I just had to get in the right frame of mind to be able to delete some of my favorites. Things change so guess it's time I adapt...the deer sure do. That is... they KNOW where the goods lay so hahahhaha it's not going to be such easy pickings for them next year! Yard looks like heck right now with all the shifting I've done Next year'll perhaps include another changing of the guards. Time will tell.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Thanks for feeling for me. I went online last night and researched the heck out of what I have that I could multiply in place of what I ripped out that the deer were eating. I just had to get in the right frame of mind to be able to delete some of my favorites. Things change so guess it's time I adapt...the deer sure do. That is... they KNOW where the goods lay so hahahhaha it's not going to be such easy pickings for them next year! Yard looks like heck right now with all the shifting I've done Next year'll perhaps include another changing of the guards. Time will tell.
Good luck with that.

I know the deer will sometimes chomp on my phlox...but that just has them blooming a little later and a bit shorter. I like them shorter, so I consider that a free pruning service.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
WG Facebook Administrator

Is electric fencing too much of a hassle or expense for you? I don't have it, but some friends do, and it seems to be quite effective for them.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #16

I highly doubt the subdivision would allow it but it did come across my mind a time or two.
Went to camp for a 2 day rest from removing rock,s laying a brick retaining wall and pitching gravel only to come home to sticks..
Hostas, lilies all gone! I feel summer's now over. It's a bust.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #17
Rock Star

Aww havalotta, sorry you got chomped. We have plenty of deer in town because of the reservation at the top of the Orange Mountains but they don't often come all the way up to my block, too close to urban areas. What works here are 8-10 ft. fences. even in the reservation.

Funny story about the mountains, when I was little my Aunt offered to take me and my much younger sister who was in a stroller to see the Orange Mountains. So we walked for a long long time and finally got to the base of the mountains and when my Aunt said there they are and I saw green foliage covering a huge expanse rising up to the sky I just sat down on the sidewalk and cried and cried. She was shocked and tried to comfort me and ask what was the matter but I was inconsolable. Finally I told her they are not Orange!!! I expected Orange Mountains the color of a cream sickle with white snow on top as if they were right out of the game Candyland. Fortunately there was a wonderful ice cream parlor at the base of the mountain to make up for the disappointment.

I got a lovely surprise a few days ago. I heard quite a commotion in the backyard and when I looked out of one of the back windows I saw quite a gathering of birds and then I smelled a lovely sweet smell coming in through the window and there was the Summer Sweet, pink Clethra blooming for the 1st time.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #18

Oh Willo you made me laugh out loud. I remember candyland! One of my childhood games as well

Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #19

Willo,

Thank you for sharing your childhood memory. At least it makes a wonderful story.

Tags
2019, blooming