Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Henry David Thoreau, understanding effects of climate change

It is becoming apparent that different species are reacting to climate change at different rates creating variance in emerging which can be detrimental to some species that have historically critical times to develop.

https://news.utk.edu/2019/03/15/usin...n-wildflowers/

Quote:
“Wildflowers are now leafing out about one week earlier than 160 years ago, but the trees are leafing out two weeks earlier,” said Caitlin McDonough MacKenzie of Boston University. “Understory wildflowers need the sunny conditions before the trees leaf out for their energy budgets.”
Quote:
“Combining our work from Pittsburgh with Thoreau’s data revealed an overlooked yet critical implication of how our changing climate is affecting native wildflowers beloved by so many people” Heberling said.

Quote:
The study draws on scientific observations initiated by Thoreau in Concord, Massachusetts, in the 1850s. These observations, combined with current research, include tree and wildflower leaf-out dates measured for 37 separate years between 1852 to 2018.
“Leaf-out” refers to the time of spring in which a species of plant begins producing leaves. A change in the timing of this stage has downstream consequences for other elements of the ecosystem.
Temperatures in Concord have warmed by 3 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Fahrenheit) over the past century. In this same time period, tree and wildflower leaf-out dates have shifted significantly.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Yes! Thoreau was a close observer and lover of nature, and he had that type of knowledge that comes with being able to identify with or have compassion for the life form he was observing. As a boy, I learned to swim at Walden Pond, and each time my parents would bring me there, I always insisted we walk around the pond on the trail and check on the cabin site.

Love his writing style and what he wrote about...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Hippie Gardener

Thanks for sharing this, Gloria. It impresses on me once again that the natural world is a community. Everything is tied together. Change in one place causes changes in others.

What a cool memory to have, Jack!

Tags
change, climate, david, effects, henry, thoreau, understanding