Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #91
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
May I ask what you were asking for the plants, Katjh??
I potted them in reclaimed 4" pots. I work at a store with a garden center, so I grab the pots as we toss plants or get them from customers who would rather return them than toss them. I sold them for $2/each for most of the summer. Lowered the price and gave multiple plant discounts as the season ended. I also sold a few extra houseplants and some cacti/succulents. I ended up making just over $400.00 from June - Sept. It was a lot of work potting all the seedlings up. I probably ended up making about .10 cents/hour if you consider all my time, but I enjoyed doing it and introducing some neighbors to native plants.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #92
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ya... it really doesn't pay off very well as whenever you pot things up to sell you're depleting your own soil supply. Drained both my raised beds to ground level last year while thinning things out so ended up creating two more hugelkultur beds out of them this Summer. Then there's the time spent watering and pulling off dead or damaged leaves to keep them in tiptop shape. Tis only something you do if you enjoy doing so but what money is raised goes right back into the hobby. All my power tools are paid for with what I make. Makes my gardening life so much more pleasurable and easy!

Hugelkultur: On Beyond Lasagna

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #93
Grub

I dont have any plans to sell plants but I will probably have extras again, it would be nice to make enough to pay for more potting mix and containers. Kat, its nice to have repurposed containers, they arent all that cheap to buy in smaller quantities, and I like the deeper containers and trays for most things which adds to the soil bill.

Havalotta, do you ever have termite concerns with hugelkultur?
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #94
Hippie Gardener

Yeah, Hava and Skip, it's no way to become a millionaire, that's for sure! The soil bill can add up, but I have access to broken bags of potting soil and topsoil from work. I mix them together and it seems to work quite well. I ordered seeds for things I wanted to plant here, so at least I didn't feel bad about the seed bill. I just sold the extras that I didn't have room for. I also collected a lot of the seeds from my own plants.

I'd like to try a hugelkultur bed here. My front yard is totally flat and I think that would add some interest.

Tags
2018, plans, plants