Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Autumn in a habitat.

Not much still blooming out in the garden but some color and very pretty in this wonderful time of year. I love the way leaves are everywhere. Enough have fallen for some good coverage in the garden paths and along all the planting areas. Some leaves have changed color and are just hanging on for awhile longer looking very different from the lush shades of green through spring and summer.

The painted lady came through before the rain the last couple of days. Landed on a dandelion right in front of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Autumn in a habitat.-img_7038.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_7037-2-.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_7036-2-.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_7026.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_7019-2-.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Some color and leaves.
Attached Thumbnails
Autumn in a habitat.-img_6927-2-.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6911.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6915.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6917.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6946.jpg  

Old 10-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

I love this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Autumn in a habitat.-img_7016-3-.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6919-2-.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6948.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_6998-2-.jpg   Autumn in a habitat.-img_7011-2-.jpg  

Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Nice "Circle of Life" shots, Gloria. I love the vibrancy of that first shot of Virginia Creeper!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Hippie Gardener

Beautiful photos, Gloria! Love the parting shot of the little guy .

After unseasonably warm temps through Sept and most of Oct, we are finally having fall weather. It was so hot and dry here that trees began dropping leaves due to stress. I thought we'd miss our fall colors entirely. Now that we've had some rain and it's cooler, the leaves are changing and falling.

I've decided not to rake any leaves from my front yard garden beds this year. I'm cleaning up the sidewalk and the small area of lawn/path that I still have, but leaving everything else. It's quite pretty, actually! I'll try to take a photo or two when the rain stops.

I still have one or two asters blooming, but everything else is finished. The hot, dry weather really knocked things down early.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
I love this time of year.
Love the copper tones in your second photo in this series.
Fall is all about color. Color of all kinds not just the oranges and yellows. So rich, so pure after a good cool rain... invigorating.... crisp and awesome in all aspects. Even the scents.... the decay, the smoky lingerings of a distant fire. I'm a full fledged Fall lover all the way to the billowing leaf filled jumpin in piles!!!!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
Fox

pawprint a few fall pixs around my place

The old trusty oak, lots of browns here, but some of the white oaks have some red to them.Autumn in a habitat.-100_3441.jpg

I always like a good patch of healthy moss, or that blueish-green British Soldier lichen.Autumn in a habitat.-100_3442.jpg

We got a pretty gusty South wind a few days ago, my virginia creeper was still green, but going brown...and poof...it is just gone. hahaha

ww
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Gloria, your pics have me (again) thinking about growing Virginia creeper up the side of our house. I'm still not sure if it is a good idea...I don't think it will damage the siding, but if like feedback from anyone who has grown it.

My theory is that it will provide shade from the summer sun, while slowing the sun to hear up the house in winter months after they have dropped their leaves.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Dapjwy:
I LOVED my Virginia creeper for many many years. 25 to be exact!

It literally surrounded my back door with it's wonderful lush foliage, both sides and along it's top...
So much so, I often spoke of that entry as being the munsters...

The birds used it regularly to build numerous nests within and often times window-side if I let it get to such acquired lengths.
It creeps upward where it can and sends yearly runners wherever (beneath my porch) which I kept in check with a snip.

THIS YEAR Around the framework of that very door I noticed a bit of a bulge -warp It's yearly growth up inside..... now pushing at the seams. There wasn't any way in which I could pull it out unless I hired someone to pop the siding off the entire framework and a nearby corner in which I also let it romp freely upwards around my bay windows of my plant room.

Ti's sad to say My dear friend............... met its maker this very summer.
I'll miss it dearly and its inhabitants but I could not let it go on to literally destroy the entry and cornerstone of our home.

A word of caution Now takes over where I once touted its usefulness.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, havalotta. I love the *idea* of it...but I guess it is not a good idea structurally.

Sorry to hear. Enjoy the memories.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autumn, habitat