Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Native Plants (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-native-plants/)
-   -   Asters earlier each year? (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-native-plants/13190-asters-earlier-each-year.html)

Helianthus 06-19-2017 07:44 AM

Asters earlier each year?

Hi!
I've noticed something odd in my garden the past couple of seasons: New England asters blooming super early. I've had the plants in about four years now, and I was really surprised to see a few blooming in July last year. This year I have a bunch already blooming in June. I guess climate change could be a factor, but it hasn't been much warmer than usual in my area. Has anyone else seen this?

The other interesting thing is that they are being pretty much ignored this time of year, whereas in September they are mobbed by pollinators. Hard to compete with mountain mint and bee balm!

KC Clark 06-19-2017 11:58 PM

I just bought some more because after years of them doing fabulously, they did not come up this year. :(

Not good when the asters are blooming early. They are supposed to be the late bloomers that monarchs can hit on the way south.

linrose 06-20-2017 11:10 AM

I haven't seen this here. The bee balm is just starting and the mountain mint is yet to bloom.

rhauser44 06-20-2017 03:03 PM

Mine will be blooming much later, we've had a population explosion of rabbits this year and my asters were all on the menu. :bleh

gymell 06-21-2017 08:37 AM

Interesting, I haven't noticed my asters blooming earlier, but someone posted the same thing on a FB group I'm a member of (Native Plant Gardens in the Upper Midwest). That person is in Iowa.

turttle 06-22-2017 04:57 PM

None of my asters are blooming yet, but my garden as a whole leafed and bloomed about two weeks earlier than it used to. Actually there has been a slow progression of earlier dates in the past ten years. Spring has been coming in February and March was warmer than May. It has definitely impacted my butterflies, which are fewer this year and many aren't matched up with their usual nectar plants.

My mountain mint and beebalm have been blooming for more than a week.

jack 06-22-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 158980)
I haven't seen this here. The bee balm is just starting and the mountain mint is yet to bloom.

Is mountain mind edible???

dapjwy 07-03-2017 08:29 AM

A few years back, I had one or two pop super early. I think I even posted about them. The rest in the yard bloomed at the regular time.

If you are concerned about not having that nectar source in the fall, I would think deadheading the flowers before they go to seed might lead to a second bloom at their regular time.

amelanchier 07-11-2017 07:30 AM

Haven't seen it here yet. But I do see the early goldenrods starting to form buds. :eyepopping Always a reminder that summer will indeed end!

rockerBOO 07-11-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 158987)
Is mountain mind edible???

Mountain mint, like pennyroyal, has pulegone. Which is an insect repellant and quite toxic.
Quote:

Dr. Art Tucker, research professor at Delaware State University and author of The Big Book of Herbs , says that pennyroyal induces abortions by first damaging the mother's liver. Death sometimes follows. In a well-documented case from 1994, a college student who drank only 2 teaspoons of pennyroyal oil in teas over a two-day period died from it. In 1992, a healthy dog died after licking a similar amount from its fur.
What You Need to Know About Pennyroyal