Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Lungwort

Default Slow growing persimmon

I was wondering if anyone had experience out there with growing persimmon from seed? I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and I always get them to germinate easily after some cold stratification. My issue is that they don't seem to grow at all from there. I have four year old seedlings that are barely 2 inches tall. I wonder if it is just the heavy clay soil I have them in or if they are just extremely slow growing?
Helianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Salamander

They are SLOW. I got one a few years ago from a buddy who has a tree farm. Complained to him how slow it was and he showed me one of his that has been in the ground for years. Was still less than 5' tall.

On the really bad side, I believe I had had my persimmon for 4 years now. Leafed out this year but the leaves never unfurled and then eventually fell off. Something went wrong.

I'm interested in having a persimmon because hickory horn devil caterpillars grow biggest on persimmon.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Lungwort

Ok, that is reassuring. I have planted out 7-8 in various spots in my yard. I guess 50 years from now it will be a 'possum, 'coon, and horn devil paradise. That is until some clueless newcomer replaces them all with crepe myrtles.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Lungwort

There was a huge persimmon in the front yard of my childhood home. Only now do I fully appreciate how long it must have taken to reach that size. The property has since been sold, and two houses now stand on the lot with crepe myrtles in front. That majestic persimmon is just a memory.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
Ok, that is reassuring. I have planted out 7-8 in various spots in my yard. I guess 50 years from now it will be a 'possum, 'coon, and horn devil paradise. That is until some clueless newcomer replaces them all with crepe myrtles.
Let's hope that, by then, people have learned to appreciate nature and natives--and mature trees.

Quote:
There was a huge persimmon in the front yard of my childhood home. Only now do I fully appreciate how long it must have taken to reach that size. The property has since been sold, and two houses now stand on the lot with crepe myrtles in front. That majestic persimmon is just a memory.

I didn't realize that you were speaking from experience.

I just put one in last year...it has leafed out beautifully...but, now I am wondering how long it will be before it will produce fruit.

Luckily for me, it is already approximately 5 feet tall.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Lungwort

The other thing to wonder about is if the tree is male or female. Bees love the male flowers, but you won't get any fruit.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

First time I ever ate one was when Equil and I had visited bigblueyes. Were they ever DELISH!!!
Perhaps you could try private messaging her to see if she's knowledgeable on the subject.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
The other thing to wonder about is if the tree is male or female. Bees love the male flowers, but you won't get any fruit.
I bought two last year...only one survived. (Two was no guarantee...but now, I clearly need to get at least one more--two more would increase my chances.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
growing, persimmon, slow