Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #51
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Having all this extra warmth at the end of the year is great!
May as well use it wisely (And I see you have) Still a lot of time left before moving on to wrapping gifts and prepping for Christmas
I'm still trying to finish some things up, but it's finally becoming winter-like here. Freezing rain tonight. I'm hoping to get my winter sowing done in the next week or two...and then I can just sit back, watch it snow and wait for spring!
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #52
Alternate POM Judge
 
EllenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm still trying to finish some things up, but it's finally becoming winter-like here. Freezing rain tonight. I'm hoping to get my winter sowing done in the next week or two...and then I can just sit back, watch it snow and wait for spring!
You are doing winter sowing in containers katjh? I don't do mine until February but it is warmer here
__________________
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. Aristotle
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #53
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
You are doing winter sowing in containers katjh? I don't do mine until February but it is warmer here
I'm going to direct sow some of my seeds and sow the rest in containers. I've built a little chicken wire fence to put them in to protect them from the bunnies. I think I'll go ahead and plant them, stick them in the fence and see what happens. Maybe I'll put some straw or mulched leaves around the containers to protect them a bit from freeze/thaw. Do you think that will work?
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #54
Alternate POM Judge
 
EllenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

I tried direct sowing last winter and it didn't work well for me. I'm going back to winter sowing in containers this year. I use the plastic food containers with lids(I poke holes in the top and bottom) so nothing can bother the seeds. In the spring it acts like a little greenhouse when the plants start to grow. I don't think you need to put straw or mulch around yours katjh since the idea is for the seeds to be cold anyway. When they germinate in the spring if it gets cold again you might want to protect them then
__________________
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. Aristotle
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #55
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I tried direct sowing last winter and it didn't work well for me. I'm going back to winter sowing in containers this year. I use the plastic food containers with lids(I poke holes in the top and bottom) so nothing can bother the seeds. In the spring it acts like a little greenhouse when the plants start to grow. I don't think you need to put straw or mulch around yours katjh since the idea is for the seeds to be cold anyway. When they germinate in the spring if it gets cold again you might want to protect them then
Thanks, Ellen. I have lots to work with. Some seeds I collected around my own yard and some I ordered from Prairie Moon. This year is for experimenting! I'll let you know how it works out. So far, we still have very mild weather. I don't want to direct sow until I know it's going to get cold. Temps in the 50's predicted again this week.
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #56
Alternate POM Judge
 
EllenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Thanks, Ellen. I have lots to work with. Some seeds I collected around my own yard and some I ordered from Prairie Moon. This year is for experimenting! I'll let you know how it works out. So far, we still have very mild weather. I don't want to direct sow until I know it's going to get cold. Temps in the 50's predicted again this week.
Yes please let us know how it works out. The only thing I had direct sow success with last year was with maximilian sunflower. Turttle mentioned a low yield result with direct sowing. I'll use container sowing for most of my seeds.
__________________
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. Aristotle
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #57
Fox
 
NEWisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Thanks, Ellen. I have lots to work with. Some seeds I collected around my own yard and some I ordered from Prairie Moon. This year is for experimenting! I'll let you know how it works out. So far, we still have very mild weather. I don't want to direct sow until I know it's going to get cold. Temps in the 50's predicted again this week.
Waiting until it gets cold does eliminate a lot of potential problems. I think that would help a lot.

If you can workout the timing so that you sow the seed just before a snowfall it has some nice advantages. The snow presses the seed into the soil for good contact and some of it will melt and freeze the seed in place. It also prevents the birds from getting to your seed.

I cover my fall sown seeds with a light layer of straw. It's probably about a half inch thick; but it's still thin enough to see the ground through the straw. The straw forms a lattice in the soil that holds the seeds in place during the spring rains. And during the summer the straw will decay and add a little organic matter to the soil.

Sow with abandon and be optimistic!
__________________
.
Age is a biological fact.
Old is a state of mind.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #58
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Waiting until it gets cold does eliminate a lot of potential problems. I think that would help a lot.

If you can workout the timing so that you sow the seed just before a snowfall it has some nice advantages. The snow presses the seed into the soil for good contact and some of it will melt and freeze the seed in place. It also prevents the birds from getting to your seed.

I cover my fall sown seeds with a light layer of straw. It's probably about a half inch thick; but it's still thin enough to see the ground through the straw. The straw forms a lattice in the soil that holds the seeds in place during the spring rains. And during the summer the straw will decay and add a little organic matter to the soil.

Sow with abandon and be optimistic!
Thanks, NEWisc! I'm trying to get seeds sown this weekend, as snow is in the forecast for next week. I thought about straw, but some of the seeds I have are so tiny and they say they need sunlight to germinate. I was concerned that the straw would shade them too much. I have a fresh bale. I may try a little in areas where the seed might get washed away by rain. Like I said....this year is for experimenting! Hoping to find something that works so I can use seed instead of plants/plugs. It would save me a lot of $$$.
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #59
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Passed on a bail of straw someone set curbside yesterday. The thought of cleaning out the debris in this weather stopped me.
Now I wish I would have.
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ending, summer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2