Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I think, when I have more than one specimen, I will. ...and watching the wildlife attracted to it will help a lot, I'm sure.

My seed is from New Jersey...a bit farther away than I'd like, but still pretty close to me. How determined are you to keep things local?
New Jersey is pretty close to me. Are you saying you have more seed? I'll take it!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
New Jersey is pretty close to me. Are you saying you have more seed? I'll take it!
Oops, I didn't mean to imply that...I was wondering if loris had more.

I had a feeling you might consider that close enough.

...now, mailing seed isn't hard, but I don't know about mailing seedlings--hey, how close are you to Gettysburg? We will be there tomorrow night and part of Saturday...maybe I could bring some with me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oooooo Maybe the two-three of you will be meeting one another after all. I have both the red and the blue lobelia but neither are planted in a wetlands area and they both do fine. The blue more so than the red. It multiplies a LOT faster than the cardinals.

Gettysburg is quite a ways away from her....I think she's almost directly below PADCNR-White Clay Creek Preserve

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Grub

I don't have time to read the article, and I shouldn't even be posting I'm so busy, BUT I have to share that I have both blue and cardinalis by my pond and they are great plants.
I was weeding one day and saw some "weeds" about to flower, so I followed my general practice of waiting and seeing what they are, and lo and behold - blue lobelias! These young plants were only about 8-10" tall but they flowered in their first year (later in the summer than the older ones). Then I started realizing that much of what I thought were weeds around my pond were in fact (probably both species of) lobelia seedlings.
I was overjoyed at this find, and am really happy they're reseeding themselves. (As an aside, I was also elated to find out that most of my "weeds" in my butterfly garden were actually tons of goldenrod and joe-pye seedlings!)

Ellen - I got my plants from SE PA and can go out and try to find some more seed to send you. I won't be able to know for a day or two due to work, but I won't forget!
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #15

Quote:
I was weeding one day and saw some "weeds" about to flower, so I followed my general practice of waiting and seeing what they are, and lo and behold - blue lobelias!
SAME way mine arrived!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
WG Fundraising Coordinator

They do look a bit weedy before they flower, thus the surprise when they do! Good thing I'm not a diligent weeder!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I planted a cardinal flower 2 years ago. It finally bloomed this year. It is very beautiful but I hear it does not spread and it is short lived. I hope I find out otherwise.
Ellen, my lobelia cardinalis has seeded itself all over my yard. I planted it right next to my stream in and pond in two places where it could actually get roots into the water since my woods are dry. However it has seeded itself into multiple areas that are much drier - not as robust growers perhaps but numerous. Take the spent flowers spikes and shake the seeds around where you want flowers if you want to speed the process. Some of mine are four years old.

I have not had as good luck with L. siphilitica. I had a bunch of them a few years ago that I planted, fewer last year and none this year. On the other hand, my downy lobelia (L. puberula) which likes it drier, after a very slow start really came into its own this year and bloomed for more than six weeks.

Eastern blue phlox and Virginia bluebells are my favorite spring blue natives, and asters in the fall. There aren't really any that bloom in the summer. I have non-native caryopteris "blue mist" which is beautiful and the bees love it, but it is really invasive and I wouldn't recommend it.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #18

I liked the blue mist until I heard they spread all too well so it shall not be planted here. > I've enough to keep in check already<
The WORST I've ever purchased and planted were the pretty little blue forget-me-nots someone said WEREN'T aggressive.
I should have KNOWN better with a name as such!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Oooooo Maybe the two-three of you will be meeting one another after all. I have both the red and the blue lobelia but neither are planted in a wetlands area and they both do fine. The blue more so than the red. It multiplies a LOT faster than the cardinals.

Gettysburg is quite a ways away from her....I think she's almost directly below PADCNR-White Clay Creek Preserve
I have one red plant and it took 2 years to bloom. I heard they are hard to keep going and don't spread. I'm glad to hear the blue does better. Yes we are going to meet....yeah! They called me a few hours ago and mentioned white clay. They are going to call back. That's where I got married 40 years ago. I wonder if they read this or did they figure out that place on their own. Thanks hava. You are a good navagator!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
I don't have time to read the article, and I shouldn't even be posting I'm so busy, BUT I have to share that I have both blue and cardinalis by my pond and they are great plants.
I was weeding one day and saw some "weeds" about to flower, so I followed my general practice of waiting and seeing what they are, and lo and behold - blue lobelias! These young plants were only about 8-10" tall but they flowered in their first year (later in the summer than the older ones). Then I started realizing that much of what I thought were weeds around my pond were in fact (probably both species of) lobelia seedlings.
I was overjoyed at this find, and am really happy they're reseeding themselves. (As an aside, I was also elated to find out that most of my "weeds" in my butterfly garden were actually tons of goldenrod and joe-pye seedlings!)

Ellen - I got my plants from SE PA and can go out and try to find some more seed to send you. I won't be able to know for a day or two due to work, but I won't forget!
Thank you disuhan. I always do that also. I identify everything before I get rid of it. That is so cool that they were volunteers for you and hava. It looks like I have seedlings on the way. Ill let you know if I need seeds. I appreciate the offer!

Tags
beneficial, blue, brings, great, lobelia, polllinator