Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Salamander

Another way to scarify these seeds is to make a rectangular box with a 1/4" plywood bottom. The sides need only to be a couple of inches high. Glue a piece medium grit sandpaper to the bottom of the box. Then, make a rectangular platform that is one inch shorter on all sides than the box. Attach a metal handle to this platform. Place the seeds in the box and gently move the platform over the seeds. The seeds will be scarified and none of them lost. And no damage to the fingers.
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Hey, thanks! Do you have a photo or a drawing of this? I've grown attached to my body parts.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
Salamander

Sorry. No picture or drawing, but here are the instructions: Rip a four foot piece of pine two inches wide. The sides are 12 inches long, and the top and bottom are 10 inches long. Lay them on edge and screw them together to make the box. Cut a piece of plywood 1/4" or 1/2" thick to cover the bottom. You can glue and nail it on with brads. Use a 3/4" piece of plywood and cut it to these dimensions 9" by 10". This is the platform to which you attach a metal handle. Glue a piece of medium grit to the bottom of the box. You can also glue a piece to the bottom of the platform. Place your seeds in the box and gently move the platform over the seeds. This will scarify them. Good luck. This will allow you to put your fingers to better use!
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
It's local genotype seed I have. I want the germination rate to be the highest possible without risking body parts as you call it. Anyone want to scarify my seed for me
HI Equilibrium. You could send them to Prairie Moon and we can use our 'scarifier' to do it. It's a small mechanical drum lined with sandpaper - we do all our legumes in here. How much seed do you have?
Aster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
WG Staff

Very kind offer Aster. Thank you.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

"How much seed do you have?" Funny you should ask. I measured it. I had about a half a pound. Just kidding. Very little. I had enough to fit in a teaspoon.

Thanks for the offer. I put mine in a film canister that had sand paper in it and shook shook shook until I figured it was sufficiently scarified. The proof will be in the pudding if my seed germinates. If it doesn't germinate I think I would like to try making one of Porterbrook's thingamajigs but then I got to thinking... which can be deadly for me... and I went down into the basement... and found a rock tumbler the boys used to make rocks all shiny and smooth. I think this has possibilities. What do you think?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"How much seed do you have?" Funny you should ask. I measured it. I had about a half a pound. Just kidding. Very little. I had enough to fit in a teaspoon.

Thanks for the offer. I put mine in a film canister that had sand paper in it and shook shook shook until I figured it was sufficiently scarified. The proof will be in the pudding if my seed germinates. If it doesn't germinate I think I would like to try making one of Porterbrook's thingamajigs but then I got to thinking... which can be deadly for me... and I went down into the basement... and found a rock tumbler the boys used to make rocks all shiny and smooth. I think this has possibilities. What do you think?
I bet it will germinate just fine! I'm attaching a picture of our seed scarifier. It does look like a rock tumbler. We can do many ounces at once. We just buy different grades of sandpaper and cut it to size. I think the sandpaper I photographed was a 60 medium-coarse.
Attached Thumbnails
Lupinus perennis scarification-dscn0296.jpg  
Aster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

We'll find out if you're right or wrong soon. Your seed scarifier looks like an oversized version of our kids' rock tumbler. Maybe we should dust off all rock tumblers and put them to good use.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Carbon

I have successfully used the hot water treatment. E.g. Boil water, cool slightly, immerse lupin seeds for 24 hours and then plant. Sulfer acid is too caustic for me. Also, it is hard to dispose of after use.
Darcie McKelvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

I started some of these seeds. Mine are germinating. They came from Prairie Moon. Nice tip Darcie McKelvey.

Tags
lupinus, perennis, scarification, wild lipine