Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Unicellular Fungi

Prairie Moon created seed germination codes that I have found to be incredibly reliable-
http://www.for-wild.org/download/gui...alRevision.pdf
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
Heron

Default Re: Cold-moist stratification

I tend to follow Prairie Moon's advice, as opposed to winter sown's.

A couple of different reasons...prairie moon wants people to grow native plants. They'll answer questions from customers and non-customers alike. They don't charge me to ask a question, nor do they alter their database to try and catch people using their information without some kind of royalty.

Winter sown dot org.... is a moneymaking, trademarked, copyrighted venture. The owner of the site is QUITE sure she invented wintersowing.

I knew her waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when on GW.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Well, that's calling a spade a spade.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
Fox

Helpful advice for those of us who sometimes don't recognize the spade.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Ya, I agree with Prairefreak but you've already ordered their catalog so you're good to go. We should give kudos where kudos are due. Praire Moon has answered questions for me without ever asking for a customer number or an order. I'm sure they don't recognize my voice as being an existing customer. How could they... with the number of calls they must take. Doesn't seem to matter to them whether you're an existing customer or a call in from the street or whether you're going to place an order or not... they answer your questions and tell you to call back if you need any more help.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #16
WG Writer

Benj1: You recognized that winter sowing is the same as cold stratification. Hooray.
Nearly all hardy plants that produce seed can be propagated by cold stratification aka winter sowing. Winter sowing has recently become something of a fad but growing under cloches in the winter in Europe dates back to Medieval (how do you spell that?) times.

So wonderful that the United States has finally caught up!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

bump
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
bump
What is "bump"? Is that your way of restarting this thread?

It worked, I just opened it and read the original post.

Last year, I put my seeds outside late winter--mid February, I think. I had stored them dry inside, and finally got them out sowed in potting soil. All I did was throw a bit of snow on top, piling it up and letting it melt when temps allowed so that it could water the seeds. Talk about lazy gardening...but it worked.

Mostly I planted aster, wild bergamot, Penstemon, and butterfly weed...maybe a few others that I forgot. I had pretty good success, however, I'm sure there are some species whose seed wouldn't have made it with that method.

I looked for pictures to share:
Attached Thumbnails
Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-for_blog_feb_009.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-for_blog_feb_017.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-seeds_germinating.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-april_pics_049.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Later in the season they got pretty big before I started planting them in the yard. The last few were planted in the fall. I'm quite the procrastinator at times....er, I mean I just get so busy with other projects.

Also, I just threw them all together. This year I was supposed to keep them all separate, but of course I didn't. I figure they will be planted together--I did try to keep them grouped appropriately. If I have wetland species, I'd keep them separate from those that grow in drier, upland sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-seeds_germinating_2.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-seeding_asters_copy.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-seeding_butterflyweed.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-seeding_penstemon.jpg   Cold Moist Stratification - an Important Seed Treatment-seeding_wild_bergamot.jpg  

"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Yes, bumping is a way to bring a topic back to the top of the threads. I thought this was a good one since people were discussing winter seed sowing.

I like how you were able to color-code the different species of seeds that you had mixed together. How did you do that??

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, cold period, germinate, germination, important, moist, native flowers, native plants, natives, planting, plants, propagate, propagation, seed, seeding, seedlings, stratification, treatment, wild ones, wildflowers, winter sowing