Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Here's my latest squirrel defense technology, scrap welded wire mesh for reinforcing concrete. So far, so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Sowing Tips & Techniques-dsc05544.jpg   Winter Sowing Tips & Techniques-dsc05467.jpg  
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #22
Carbon

cool pics swamp!
bunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
Heron

I use 20 -24 oz. styro cups, sandwich sized ziploc baggies and the cheap potting soil I find at the local Jewel-Osco floral dept...$1.89 for a 10 lb. bag. It's usually on sale for $1.29 a bag in late fall/early winter. I use styro cups 'cuz they're deep and cheap(they're usually on sale, too. $1 for a pack of 10-20, depending on the size of the cup). Prairie plants are deep rooted.

Wal-Mart soil is crpa and full of weed seed, I would advise not using it.

First thing I do is number the styro cups with a ball-point pen, so I know who's where, LOL! I make a list that concurs with what seed I have planted in what container.

I take a knife and make knife-tipped size slits in the sides and bottom of the styro cups.Then I fill the cups with the cheap potting soil. This next part is messy, so I sit the filled cups in cake pans, then I water the whole shebang-a-bang until water is dripping out the sides and bottom.

I then add the seeds. I cover them, or not, as directed. I press the seeds down lightly, to assure good seed to soil contact. I sprinkle a little more water on top. Then I take a zip-lock sandwich sized baggie, and cut a half-moon shape out of the bottom. I slide the styro cup through the hole, and pull it up tight. I seal the baggie, leaving an inch or so open. Then I chuck them outside. I usually do my winter sowing on or around the winter solstice, but in zone 5, I could probably do it through late Jan.

Works like a charm, and the cups and baggies can be recycled for next year's crop, too. All you got to do is soak them in a weak bleach, and dry them out in the sun, but I've never had any problem with pathogens. I usually don't bother. It's just a precaution. I re-use and bleach the styro cups...but I don't bother with re-using the baggies. My bad.

I've tried all manner of saved containers, but baggie and styro works the best for me, germination percentage-wise. I usually get 85-90%.

Last edited by Prairiefreak; 04-03-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff, and some stuff was out of order
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #24
Fox

Good write-up of your procedure, PF. Thanks.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
Salamander

I winter sowed my seeds in December. I've checked them almost daily. Since this is my first spring in Washington state, with its wet winters, I wasn't sure when to expect sprouts. Last weekend, I came to the conclusion that my poor little seeds had either rotted or been eaten by the birds & chipmunks. (No, I didn't cover them all.) So I ordered more seeds from Prairie Moon - maybe I'll still have enough cold weather to get them started. That was Sunday. Guess what happened Wednesday?

Go figure. Yep. They sprouted!

I can always use the extra seeds.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

Doesn't it always figure just when you throw in the towel and spend $$$ starting over that you get action? What seeds did you buy.... it's a shot in the dark but... maybe you've got something fluke may have it that me or somebody else meant to buy and I can buy and forgot to buy. Maybe somebody can buy them off you so you don't get nailed with doubles?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
...Go figure. Yep. They sprouted!

I can always use the extra seeds.
i know. this is only my second year winter sowing, and i have learned patience is a plus! just when i'm about to give up on a container, it suddenly sprouts. i have also found that putting them in a warm place this time of year helps too...
Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
Unicellular Fungi

Many a gardener has given up on a container. I recall several containers I threw away the very first time I wintersowed. Had I not been the person to take the garbage to the curb, I would not have been able to rescue the seedlings that sprouted after I had given up hope. Several of my trays sprouted the week after I threw them away. The sprouts were a pleasant surprise.

Winter sowing is indeed a wonderful way to avoid the pitfalls of damping off. There are no hardening off issues either.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #29
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Only one sprout in this container of Baptisia alba last year, so I left it out and there's more this year. Nice crop of moss in there, too.
Winter Sowing Tips & Techniques-dsc05635.jpg

This container of bunchberries (Cornus canadensis) has been tucked behind the shrubs next to the house for a couple years at least, and finally sprouted this week.
Winter Sowing Tips & Techniques-dsc05638.jpg

P.S. There will be a seedling photo contest next month, don't forget to get pictures!
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
Carbon

wow! a couple of years to sprout! that's real patience swamp!

great pics swamp! mine look just like that but a bit more crowded...

Tags
containers for winter sowing, germination, how to winter sow, native plant germination, recycled containers, recycled plastic, sowing, techniques, tips, tips for winter sowing, winter, winter sow, winter sow containers, winter sow native plants, winter sowing, winter sowing techniques