Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Looks like about what I was doing last week but instead.... made potpourri out of my excess seeds and heads
You are so crafty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I never thought of making potpourri. Great idea! I always just dump all my extra seeds out into the garden areas. I don't like to save them from year to year. I'd just end up with a huge stash that would never get used up.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I've done that too.
Flung the excess to the hillside hoping they'd settle in and sprout on their own.
I either throw the stems and hulls out into the yard, mix them into the sand or (clean) clay cat litter used to help broadcast my seed mixes on larger areas (direct sowing), or put them on top of the pots of seed so that I can easily identify them in case the labels fade.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #32

Making progress.
Winter Sowing 2018-20190218_154946.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #33
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Making progress.
Attachment 46267
Yay!!!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Yay!!!

Here they are getting their winter treatment.
Winter Sowing 2018-20190226_223352.jpg

Winter Sowing 2018-20190226_223457.jpg

I put them outside, covered them with snow, and put a screen on top of them (not pictured).
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #35

I still have some more to sow...but I need to get more containers.

Too bad I didn't get around to planting all of the plugs that I grew last year. If I did, I would have had more plug trays to plant. Here's hoping that they all survived the winter. I would hate to lose them.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #36
Lungwort

I知 winter-sowing Prairie Dropseed that was left over from last year. I知 CM stratifying the rest of my seeds in the fridge. I知 also planning to do another round of stratification during the summer for Fall planting as well. One of my projects this summer is reducing or eliminating my suburban lawn, so I値l have a lot of area to work with this Fall.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
I知 winter-sowing Prairie Dropseed that was left over from last year. I知 CM stratifying the rest of my seeds in the fridge. I知 also planning to do another round of stratification during the summer for Fall planting as well. One of my projects this summer is reducing or eliminating my suburban lawn, so I値l have a lot of area to work with this Fall.
Sounds wonderful! Way to go!

What is CM?
Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #38
Grub

Cold moist stratification I would guess.

I have 2 trays left, in a couple weeks I'll get all my remaining seeds that dont need stratification sowed and outside. Mostly grasses, Elymus hystrix, Panicum oligosanthes, Eragrostis spectabilis, and Chasmanthium laxum, but also Hypericum prolificum and Chamaecrista fasciculata. Just another month until spring starts here!
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #39
Hippie Gardener

Quote:

Too bad I didn't get around to planting all of the plugs that I grew last year. If I did, I would have had more plug trays to plant. Here's hoping that they all survived the winter. I would hate to lose them.
My flats are all buried under so much snow that I'm not even sure exactly where they are! I haven't stepped on them yet, so that's a good thing.

I had some plants left at the end of the season last year, too. Not many, and nothing terribly exciting. I tried tucking them all close together and covering them with leaves. We shall see if that worked.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #40
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:

You can sow your seeds in cardboard egg cartons. No transplant shock later on...just plant pod and all when the time comes

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, sowing, winter