Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

All they need is to be brought more to the surface where the heat, light and moisture stimulates them into sprouting. Takes me about 3-4 years of stirring the soil up to get the most of them sprouting so I can then remove them by hand. If you don't till any deeper than what you normally do, not too many more will appear in the future unless you let something go to seed.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I was thinking (hoping!) the same thing....maybe wind or heavy rain just mixed up the seeds a bit. I'm still hoping that's the case and it's not just weeds.

Those darned weeds can be so persistent! I have things coming up through cardboard that has been in place for a year or more. Maybe they just lay dormant until the cardboard decays enough for them to grow. Pesky little buggers!
I hope it turns out that they are not weeds.

I hear you with the cardboard--at least you keep yours in place long enough--I tend to put it down early fall...and then try to plant by May. That is really not enough time...although, some areas have been smothered twice (after the first not-totally-successful try, I reapply cardboard and leaves...even these sections have persistent orchard grass and crownvetch under them.

This year, I decided to sow my meadow anyway...despite some strands of orchard grass in an otherwise bare ground "bed". I figure that I would rather have a meadow of natives where that I will have to weed, than have another year with out my meadow.

Less than ideal, I know...but much better than what I have now.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #33
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Sorry to hear that.

I have had success with Penstemon digitalis, but I have yet to try golden ragwort--I really should give it a try.

At least you have something for your efforts.

Some seeds, from what I've read, may not break dormancy until the following year.

I'm actually hoping some things that I direct sowed (and never saw germinate) will come up this spring. Time will tell.
You gave me some of your winter sowed penstemon and it is doing very well dap. Mine may have been too wet. We also had such a mild winter it may not have been cold enough
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
You gave me some of your winter sowed penstemon and it is doing very well dap. Mine may have been too wet. We also had such a mild winter it may not have been cold enough
I am so glad that they are doing well for you.

Definitely try again with the seeds. I do winter sow mine, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they germinate without special treatment.

Maybe being too wet was the problem.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #35
Unicellular Fungi

I stratified seeds in my refridgerator this year. My Coreopsis lanceolata was near-100% germination. All my different types of milkweed are all germinating well too. My Rudbeckia subtomentosa and Penstemon grandiflorus haven't germinated yet. But I'm crossing my fingers.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
I stratified seeds in my refridgerator this year. My Coreopsis lanceolata was near-100% germination. All my different types of milkweed are all germinating well too. My Rudbeckia subtomentosa and Penstemon grandiflorus haven't germinated yet. But I'm crossing my fingers.
Sounds pretty successful to me!

Here's hoping the last two are just "late bloomers" so to speak. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 AM   #37
Unicellular Fungi

Thanks Dap. I'm seeing some life from my Penstemon now. Nothing really to note yet from my Rudbeckia. I'll need to separate the Coreopsis on some of the milkweed this week.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #38
WG Facebook Administrator

So far I'm seeing germination from the species that germinate quickly and easily: blue asters, Joe-Pye weed, jewelweed, purple-flowering raspberry, and I believe some Clematis. There are also weeds in there, so I'm just waiting until I get some nice, big, true leaves to make sure. The sweet-cicely, doll's eyes, red baneberry, & tall meadow-rue haven't germinated yet.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
Thanks Dap. I'm seeing some life from my Penstemon now. Nothing really to note yet from my Rudbeckia. I'll need to separate the Coreopsis on some of the milkweed this week.
Good to hear.

I winter-sowed several things...most seem to have germinated...but not all. ...and,it seems that the writing on my labels wore off.

I did find some common milkweed seeds still inside the open pod--i planted them early spring, and they are coming up now.

It feels great starting so many new natives to add to the yard, doesn't it?

Tags
2017, germination, wintersowing

« Double dormancy | - »