Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #21
WG Facebook Administrator

Starting to get germination in my water jugs! Unfortunately, a few weeds are already obvious, but it looks as if they're mostly what I want. Now to see if I can still ID all the jugs. I wrote the names in two places on the interior and gave each a rolled-up label stuck inside the handle, but one jug has really faded writing and the label has fallen down and blown off... Happens to at least one every time!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Been there done that. All you can do then is to plant it and identify it once mature and hopefully recognizable.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #23
Alternate POM Judge

My winter sowing was not too successful. I tried several kinds of penstemon. None of it grew. Ragwort didn't grow. My purple coneflower seeds did well
Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #24

Too wet? Not mature? When that happens I save the soil and scatter it. Once in a while, a few survive and sprout on their own outdoors

Old 04-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #25
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
An update on my winter sowing project: The seeds directly sown onto the prepared ground are beginning to sprout. I mixed everything together and broadcast it by hand, so I really don't know what's coming up out there. Time will tell!
The seeds that I sowed in pots also appear to be coming up.....BUT...there are some sprouts in flats that should be grasses that do not look like grasses. I'm thinking I may have a healthy crop of some sort of weed. We had a very mild winter with little snow, so the flats were uncovered for much of the season. Anything could have blown in. We shall see....
That is very exciting. Keep us posted.

Here's hoping that it isn't a weed, but more natives--perhaps you mislabeled them--or some of your native forb seeds blew into the grass pots (and sprouted earlier)...One can hope.

I directly sowed only two *small* sections that had been smothered all year--the "kiddie pool pots" that I used last year. I moved them in February (when we had a week of 60 degree weather!)...and sowed some of my collected seeds and left over last years purchased seeds (which did sprout inside when I checked a couple of weeks earlier).

I also winter sowed in flats from the plugs I bought last year. They are sprouting--unfortunately they don't seem to be labeled--despite my nearly clear memory of writing (in Sharpie) on the old white printed tags still stapled to the flats. I hope I can recognize them all.

It seems late, but I am planning on sowing the (custom) native seed mix that I bought earlier this year. I have left the cardboard covered in leaves on as long as possible before sowing (and still, I see some persistent orchard grass coming through ).

Here is hoping that we are both pleased with our results.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
To this day..My favorite volunteers were the Filipendula rubra (Queen of the Prairie)...
After seeing a wild stand once while driving through Upstate New York, I have really fallen in love with this.

I purchased on from a nursery, but, the deer has eaten it down several times. I had divided it, so one is against a rock wall with another tall native planted in front of it (one that the deer do not seem to like, I'm hoping that is enough to deter them. The other is farther from the house, and I really should put a circle of wire fence around it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
...I wrote the names in two places on the interior and gave each a rolled-up label stuck inside the handle, but one jug has really faded writing and the label has fallen down and blown off... Happens to at least one every time!
It seems to happen to nearly *all* of mine! ...I mean

I purposely took pictures of them as I sowed them, so that I could identify them through the photos--but, I never posted them to my blog, or here, so I'm going to have to have some good luck finding them.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
My winter sowing was not too successful. I tried several kinds of penstemon. None of it grew. Ragwort didn't grow. My purple coneflower seeds did well
Sorry to hear that.

I have had success with Penstemon digitalis, but I have yet to try golden ragwort--I really should give it a try.

At least you have something for your efforts.

Some seeds, from what I've read, may not break dormancy until the following year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post

Too wet? Not mature? When that happens I save the soil and scatter it. Once in a while, a few survive and sprout on their own outdoors
Good advice.

I'm actually hoping some things that I direct sowed (and never saw germinate) will come up this spring. Time will tell.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
After seeing a wild stand once while driving through Upstate New York, I have really fallen in love with this.

I purchased on from a nursery, but, the deer has eaten it down several times. I had divided it, so one is against a rock wall with another tall native planted in front of it (one that the deer do not seem to like, I'm hoping that is enough to deter them. The other is farther from the house, and I really should put a circle of wire fence around it.
That's funny. The deer have never touched mine, but then again, there is soooo many other options to nibble upon.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #30
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
That is very exciting. Keep us posted.

Here's hoping that it isn't a weed, but more natives--perhaps you mislabeled them--or some of your native forb seeds blew into the grass pots (and sprouted earlier)...One can hope.

I directly sowed only two *small* sections that had been smothered all year--the "kiddie pool pots" that I used last year. I moved them in February (when we had a week of 60 degree weather!)...and sowed some of my collected seeds and left over last years purchased seeds (which did sprout inside when I checked a couple of weeks earlier).

I also winter sowed in flats from the plugs I bought last year. They are sprouting--unfortunately they don't seem to be labeled--despite my nearly clear memory of writing (in Sharpie) on the old white printed tags still stapled to the flats. I hope I can recognize them all.

It seems late, but I am planning on sowing the (custom) native seed mix that I bought earlier this year. I have left the cardboard covered in leaves on as long as possible before sowing (and still, I see some persistent orchard grass coming through ).

Here is hoping that we are both pleased with our results.
I was thinking (hoping!) the same thing....maybe wind or heavy rain just mixed up the seeds a bit. I'm still hoping that's the case and it's not just weeds.

Those darned weeds can be so persistent! I have things coming up through cardboard that has been in place for a year or more. Maybe they just lay dormant until the cardboard decays enough for them to grow. Pesky little buggers!

Tags
2017, germination, wintersowing