Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Got any old milk jugs lying around? You could try sowing in there! Taping the tops on makes for a little greenhouse and deters squirrels somewhat.
I have tons of left over pots that I purchased last year.

In addition to those, I have several plug trays from the several species I bought as plugs last year. If I run out, I do have some other saved containers. My plan is to direct sow most of my seeds, winter sowing a lot as plugs--but I also have kiddie pools that I will sow and transplant later in the season.

I didn't do much, but I did get one species sown from seeds collected from our yard. I am not certain that it is native, but I believe it is. If anyone can recognize it (from my blurred picture), I'd be thrilled.

Winter-sowing 2017-20170117_190609.jpg

Winter-sowing 2017-20170117_190705.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm almost embarrassed to even admit how many seed packets I purchased! Most are partial shade. I had to pull out the invoice from PM to recall exactly what I ordered. Here ya go....
Silene virginica, Anemone patens var. wolfgangiana, Hydrastis canadensis, Ceanothus ovatus, Hypericum prolificum, Angalinis tenuifolia, Anaphalis margaritacea, Asclepias exaltata, Aster lateriflorus, Campanula americana, Campanula rotundifolia, Claytonia virginica, Desmodium glutinosum, Eupatorium coelestinum, Gentiana quinquefolia, Isopyrum biternatum, Lobelia inflata, Oxalis violacea, Penstemon calycosus, Phlox divaricata, Phryma leptostachya, Polygonatum biflorum, Scrophularia lanceolata, Thalictrum dioicum, Triosteum perfoliatum, Aquilegia canadensis, and some assorted grasses and sedges.

This is for almost my entire front yard and some empty partial shade areas in my back yard. I sowed some in pots, hoping to have enough to share with some friends who are interested in starting native plantings. I'm quite sure not all of them will be successful, but I'm hoping for a nice mix.

As I said, all of our snow is melted, so I hope the birds and other critters are not making off with all of the seed! I think I'm more excited for spring than I ever have been before . My neighbors will think me crackers when they see me crawling around out there looking for seedlings.
That's a nice mix! Some of those germinate pretty readily in suitable spots in my experience, although others I have no experience with at all. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Not much left in my seed stash....Mostly veggies.
New Wisc the library's having a seed swap I believe it's to be on Saturday if you are in want...NO genetically modified allowed.
Dapjwy...No ID for you but what I'd do is plant a few and see if you can recognize what they are after the first set or two of leaves open.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #14
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
If you can keep the integrity of the containers containing the seedlings, you should be able to do fine. I've had a lot of success with winter-sowing in the past, but the highest success rates come with transplanting first into large nursery pots before planting out in the landscape. Once they get significant root systems they should resist the herbivores and diggers better.
I may try to do that. My mistake may have been planting them out too soon. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dapjwy...No ID for you but what I'd do is plant a few and see if you can recognize what they are after the first set or two of leaves open.
I know what it is from; I just need to take photos of the adult plant and get an ID.
I am nearly certain it is native.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Not much left in my seed stash....Mostly veggies.
New Wisc the library's having a seed swap I believe it's to be on Saturday if you are in want...NO genetically modified allowed.
Thanks for the info. Which library is it at?

In the past you've mentioned plant sales, poultry meets, etc. How do you find out about all of these local events?
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #17

I got a bit more done with my winter sowing. Snow days rock!

Winter-sowing 2017-20170124_155343.jpg

Winter-sowing 2017-20170124_155238.jpg

Winter-sowing 2017-20170125_085330.jpg

Winter-sowing 2017-20170124_155507.jpg

Winter-sowing 2017-20170124_155652.jpg
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Thanks for the info. Which library is it at?

In the past you've mentioned plant sales, poultry meets, etc. How do you find out about all of these local events?
Sorry.... I missed your question. I had gone to camp for a while to prep for an upcoming event.
Hopefully you made a few calls and located it. It was mentioned in the paper...

The swaps, meets, flee markets, art fairs, sporting events, rendezvous and shows, I cruise the internet to fish out their yearly events. Takes me a while but... time I have in the Winter months to search them out...I'm ok with traveling lets say....100 or so miles either way.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
Hippie Gardener

An update on my winter sowing project: The seeds directly sown onto the prepared ground are beginning to sprout. I mixed everything together and broadcast it by hand, so I really don't know what's coming up out there. Time will tell!
The seeds that I sowed in pots also appear to be coming up.....BUT...there are some sprouts in flats that should be grasses that do not look like grasses. I'm thinking I may have a healthy crop of some sort of weed. We had a very mild winter with little snow, so the flats were uncovered for much of the season. Anything could have blown in. We shall see....
Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #20

MINE TOO! But I don't WANT them. They are the offspring of what I have already outside soooo will be raking them in real soon before they take a good hold and crowd what's already there.

I like how you let things grow with a lets see attitude. Many people would just rip them out or toss them. If I've the room I let my mystery plants grow or move them to an area in which they can mature. I've a few winners in my yard because of experimenting. To this day..My favorite volunteers were the Filipendula rubra (Queen of the Prairie) and the Ipomopsis rubra (Standing cypress) that had sprouted in something purchases or moved.

Tags
2017, germination, wintersowing