Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
How long have they been "rooting"? If it hasn't been 2 weeks, resist the temptation to check. If you have new growth, they're rooted. If not, can you use something to lift up just one to see if you have any trace of roots? You can gently place it back and water it, no matter what the results.
They definitely rooted. Those that were most robust were already planted a while back when we were getting lots of rain for a week or more mid-summer. They seem to be doing fine. Those with little growth were put back and I've just been keeping them watered.

I decided I want to plant another elderberry at the base of a slope where I'm adding some tall wildflowers--cup plant, wild senna, and eventually big bluestem (maybe) and some New York ironweed. I'm sure I'll add others if I have the space...now I wish I had one of the most robust ones for that area. Oh well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Try rooting things in place if you can.
You can keep them from drying out by covering them with a clotche'
I like that idea. I did plant half of the elderberry cuttings in the ground during early spring; I didn't cover them, and I think at least one or two rooted.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Probably the last thing most of us are thinking about in the middle of July is cloning our shrubs and trees.

But you may want to clone that crab-apple that doesn't suffer blights and the birds really love the berries on.

You want to find a place out of direct sunlight and good loose soil; Make your hardwood cutting about 6 inches long and take 3 inches of leaves off and stick it in the ground.

The trick is covering the cutting with a glass jar; This helps the cutting from drying out

After a month you can remove the jar to see if any new growth has started
Now that, I'd like to try. I definitely want more of the lone Malus coronaria on the property. Obviously, I prefer ore genetic diversity, but until I start seeing seedlings, I'll settle for clones.

Last edited by dapjwy; 07-26-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Getting the correct spelling for the species name)

Tags
cut, cuttings, dorman, dormant cuttings, dormant stem, elderberry, hardwood, hazlenut, hormone, progate, propagation, pussy willow, root, rooted, rootin, rooting hormone, roots, serviceberry, softwood