Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > North American Native Plants > North American Native Plant Propagation and Winter Sowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Heron

Hi Dap,
I have only played around a little bit with rooting cuttings, so I don't have too much to add, other than you may also want to try the layering technique for those plants that are ornery or difficult to root. Also, here's a link to some good info on rooting woody vegetation:
WSU Master Gardener: NW Native Plant Guide - Hardwood Cuttings
Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I've propagated quite a few woodies. I mostly use Hormex rooting products. I like #8. Sometimes I use DipNGrow too. It all depends. Some woodies are harder to root from cuttings and require a higher concentration of a rooting hormone. These 2 sites look decent if anyone's interested, Hortus USA: Review of Propagation and Propagating Deciduous and Evergreen Shrubs, Trees and Vines with Stem Cuttings.
--
Dappy> What rooting hormone do you have?
--
Coupla things.... a 4" cutting should be fine... anything much more than that and you could be setting yourself up for failure and.... with any hardwood deciduous cutting, you'll want to keep the humidity up around the cuttings all the time... especially at night. Tenting them is probably the easiest way to go. You can stick chop sticks or pencils in the corners of your little pots then wrap them with reynolds wrap for at least the 1st 4 weeks. Poke a few vent holes in the top. Don't be buying anything fancy.... and don't forget to mist them daily. Use a fine spray misting bottle.
--
I've got oodles of personal notes here from all the playing around I've done and propagation protocols I used as guides so if you list out for me what you want to try rooting.... I'll see what I've got. I know I've got info on native viburnums because I just ran into it and almost pitched it. Those were easy.... semi-hardwood cuttings taken in summer, dipped in DipNGrow at 1:10 dilution then stuck in baked sand and tented yielded high rooting percentages across a wide range of species. Similar deal for hydrangeas... those I dipped in Rootone and I know I got high rooting percentages from those cuttings too.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Hi Dap,
I have only played around a little bit with rooting cuttings, so I don't have too much to add, other than you may also want to try the layering technique for those plants that are ornery or difficult to root. Also, here's a link to some good info on rooting woody vegetation:
WSU Master Gardener: NW Native Plant Guide - Hardwood Cuttings
Thanks for the link and the suggestion, kchd.

On my way home from work today, I was thinking about layering. I have a lot to learn...I've no experience with either cuttings or layering. ...I do remember my mother trying to layer a rhododendron, but, whether or not it worked is a little fuzzy...I kind of think it worked, but if so, it took a long time.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

Thanks for the links, Lib. I started reading the first one and decided I better get back here to thank you and respond to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> What rooting hormone do you have?
It is called RootBoost. I didn't do any research befor buying it, I just asked the store if they had rooting hormone. This was the only one on the shelf. I remember my dad used Root Tone, but I don't remember if he had success or not....or what he tried to root.

I just looked at the ingredients...all I see listed is sulfur, manganese, and zinc. Hmm...I always thought it was supposed to be a hormone.

Quote:
I've got oodles of personal notes here from all the playing around I've done and propagation protocols I used as guides so if you list out for me what you want to try rooting.... I'll see what I've got. I know I've got info on native viburnums because I just ran into it and almost pitched it. Those were easy....semi-hardwood cuttings taken in summer, dipped in DipNGrow at 1:10 dilution then stuck in baked sand and tented yielded high rooting percentages across a wide range of species. ]
Thanks, Lib...I'd love to pick your brain...or your notes.

I'm sure there are tons of things I'd like to root. I'll start a list off the top of my head:

Quaking aspen (to add to my hedgerow and help establish my woodland with some fast growing shade--pioneer species)

Serviceberry (Amelanchier arborea ?) (from our yard...the other service berries I've added may be cultivars and I prefer the straight species. ...Not sure this can be rooted or not.)

Sweet fern

Hawthorn

American sweet crab apple (Malus coronaria)

Linden/basswood (supposed to be hard to grow from seed)

Rhododendron

Mountain laurel

Blueberry

Viburnums

....there are probably tons more...I'm open to suggestions. Elderberry was suggested, and I ate it up!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

When I get back... I'll have to look up the rooting hormone you bought. I know I haven't tried propagating Mountain Laurel..... I have tried growing it though and.... I killed it every time... Kalmia doesn't like me and the feelings are mutual right about now. Blueberries I haven't tried at all.... I'm getting there.... slowly but surely.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
When I get back... I'll have to look up the rooting hormone you bought. I know I haven't tried propagating Mountain Laurel..... I have tried growing it though and.... I killed it every time... Kalmia doesn't like me and the feelings are mutual right about now. Blueberries I haven't tried at all.... I'm getting there.... slowly but surely.
Thank you. When you get a chance, send them my way.

Hey, Kalmia doesn't hate you, it probably just doesn't like your soil--something I may have to consider/deal with. . (I'm hoping that, if Rhododendron can grow here, it can too.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #17

Oh, oh, oh...add sassafras to the list!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

I've got notes on how to grow Kalmia. I followed em to a "t". I even had some of my "geek" friends come out to take a look around trying to solve the mystery of the dying kalmias and.... no luck. For a while there... I felt like a Mountain Laurel charity.... every time somebody came over.... they were bringing me little kalmias. I think I've killed every Kalmia out there so go get help from somebody in a native plant society or something out your way!!!! I'm gonna hold off trying any more until we're out of Illinois and down a little south of here.... no sense beating my head against the wall over that plant anymore. I waved the white flag on that 1 a while ago!!! It's up there with trying to grow a palm tree here.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #19

Well, after your experiences, I don't blame you for calling it quits. I'm just glad you are keeping them in mind for your next property. I hope you have success there.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
Heron

Rhododendron (Propagating Rhododendrons)

Most dogwoods are good for cuttings.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut, cuttings, dorman, dormant cuttings, dormant stem, elderberry, hardwood, hazlenut, hormone, progate, propagation, pussy willow, root, rooted, rootin, rooting hormone, roots, serviceberry, softwood