Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural History

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #31
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Most of my caving is horizontal; I'm not a pit bouncer who does vertical for sport, but only when necessary during survey work. Most caves in our area do not have deep pits (I can think of only a handful of hundred footers), but often have 'nuisance drops' of 50' or less. Therefore, my vertical gear is quite basic; a frog system for ascending (see ORGT Caving - Instructions for using the Frog system) and a couple different sized racks and figure eights for descents. My wife also is a caver (but currently inactive because of health issues); we first met at a caving event and got married at the bottom of a 100'+ drop in a cave - you could say we had a 'Nylon Aisleway'. See https://picasaweb.google.com/crshortt/GrapevinePitLostWorldCavernsWV#5192250764769128146 for the top of the drop and http://jschumacher.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c339953ef0120a5eb9b38970b-800wi for a view looking up from the bottom.
Heh. Getting married in a cave is fairly class. I haven't heard of that one before.

No, almost all of my caving was horizontal stuff but when I was doing the Cave Rescue stuff I think that led into the vertical stuff. There are relatively few vertical caves in Ireland, but in Yorkshire there are loads. More or less everything I did out there was vertical.

The Frog thing was what people use out there too. I normally only used one leg though, the other one was free for fending off stuff.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #32
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What kind of stuff do you fend? Critters?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #33
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
What kind of stuff do you fend? Critters?
I think he means pit/cave walls, cliff faces and the like. With one foot free, you can push yourself away from such obstacle that otherwise might impede upward progress on the rope. I prefer to use a single loop for both feet, it is very easy to take one foot out whilst leaving the other one in to continue climbing.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #34
Salamander

Oops!
Sorry, yes. That's what I mean.
Walls and such.

And Dracula. Obviously. He come's in, boozed up, after a night out on the town and he can't keep his fangs to himself.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #35
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

~Double Ouch~

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spelunker, suunto